Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do uniforms fix school problems?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM
  • 37 Replies
Our school is going to a school uniform policy for next school year. Their reasoning is to improve disapline and academics. What do you think about that? Can uniforms really fix those issues?

Personally I feel like the are issues that are unrelated to clothing . Academics need to be fixed with curriculum , programs, and staffing.

Current rules and policies need to be inforced. I am unsure how school uniforms will fix the lack of leadership and education in our distinct .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

No uniforms does not fix all problems. Even the way they dress. They find ways to even change those things. Yes it may help a bit but not all for clothing. All other parts they have to work on those changes different ways. Just because they change cloths does not fix them all.

nova.mommy
by Kristi on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Uniforms don't fix it all.  

But they may impact in the fact that the kids are in school to learn, not to see what so and so is wearing today.  Are they going to have a 'un iform' for the teachers too?  I know I took teachers more seriously and was more ready to learn if they were in business type attire.

divinedimension
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
No it doesn't help
story0702
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Nope . No uniforms for the teachers . And I think they often dress worse than the kids

Quoting nova.mommy:

But they may impact in the fact that the kids are in school to learn, not to see what so and so is wearing today.  Are they going to have a 'un iform' for the teachers too?  I know I took teachers more seriously and was more ready to learn if they were in business type attire.

AleaKat
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM
No!

I remember when our school switched to uniforms. Nothing changed except more kids got in trouble for uniform violations.
*gasp* my shirt is untucked!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Kristi on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM

If no uniforms for the teachers, they should have a dress code for them along the lines of what they would wear to a 9-5 job or interview.  If they look professional, they may start to take more of an interest in the workings of the school.

Quoting story0702:

Nope . No uniforms for the teachers . And I think they often dress worse than the kids

Quoting nova.mommy:

soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I wish we would go to uniforms that way there was never a question if something is appropriate or not.

family in the van   Mom of four

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this

Only thing uniforms do are make it easier to get dressed in the am 

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

This has been argued about many many times.  Each family is going to have a different perspective. 

In MY opinion, I like it.  My girls wear it and it's convenient for us.  Less drama in the morning....they don't have many choices.  No kids really stand out because of how they dress (positively or negatively) since they all look the same. 

One of the reasons the prinicipal wanted this was to also provide a "team" atmosphere for the kids.  Everything he does there, he focuses on doing this as a school, as a class, helping each other, etc. 

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Quoting soymujer:

I wish we would go to uniforms that way there was never a question if something is appropriate or not.

THIS is another reason our principal went to uniforms.  What kids wore to school before they switched was CRAZY.....some were very inappropriate.  Even when they have free dress day (like today), they have specific rules such as no spaghetti strings and shorts/skirts that are too short.  Kids will and have worn clothes like this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)