Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What is up with kids chewing on the clothes?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM
  • 9 Replies

My 8 year old son chews his shirts up. I hate that I buy him a new shirt and he can only wear it once because its horribly embarrassing to put it on him again because he chews it so bad. I'm about fed up and he will start to wear these shirts chewed up and all! I hate that I cant dress him nice because of this habit. Is there anyone else who has this problem? What has worked for you? Is there anything I can put on the clothes to make them less desirable to chew? Thanks!

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
huskermom98
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I don't know--my 7yo has just started chewing his gloves (just one finger at a time) and it's driving me crazy!  At least it should be warming up soon...hopefully!

annelauer
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Does he have sensory problems? Can you encourage him to chew gum or a straw or something instead. That is the way that some kids deal with anxiety.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM
This! DS used to chew his shirts. His teacher noticed and placed a strip of fuzzy velcro under his desk. Instead of chewing his shirt, he would rub the velcro. Worked in just one day and he's never done it since.

Quoting annelauer:

Does he have sensory problems? Can you encourage him to chew gum or a straw or something instead. That is the way that some kids deal with anxiety.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
occumommy
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Try giving him a washcloth to chew on. My son stopped chew his clothes when i did that. Takes redirection a few times but it definately helped. He could be cutting molars.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Ds1 did that for a while- he chewed on the collar. When not at school, I'd give him gum to chew on. At school, we enlisted the help of his teacher; if she saw him doing it, she'd get his attention and just give a subtle shake of her head. It took a while, but we did break him of the habit. Too bad we ended up w/ a bunch of ruined shirts in the process : (

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:11 PM
The 4th and 5th graders I teach still chew on their clothes (some of them).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I know of 2 kids like this both on an ESE level, and both have chew items from sensory workers.

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Oh dear God, both my 7 and 9 year old did that!  Annoyed the crap out of me!!  They are both, however, not doing it nearly as much!  I would find that they sucked on the corners of their pillows or blankets.  When I asked them, I got the canned answer of "I don't know."  My 9 year old has not done it in quite some time, but I will catch my 7 year old doing it from time to time.  I think she does it when she gets really into a book and doesn't even realize she is doing it.

BeccaMathes85
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:22 PM

My son did this too and I know this sounds mean but i put pepper and water in a spray bottle and sprayed it on his shirt and he does not do it any more!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN