Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Apparently he's going to have to starve! PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:37 PM
  • 14 Replies

I am running on empty today! We had DS's well check up at the doctor which of course led to the never ending conversations about Hypoglycemia. We discussed Dom's diet and how often he shows symptoms and this led to the surprise. No matter how much we have altered and controlled his diet it is time for the next step. We now have to cut all sugar from his diet not just processed. This will continue at least until we see the pediatric endocrinologist. 

The real sticking point for DS and I was when we went over his schools lunch menu and realized that he can only have the school lunch 9 out of the 22 days of school in April!

This leads me to you guys. Anyone have lunch ideas that contain absolutely no nuts or sugar? He is in a peanut free school.

Check out the updates from The Asylum!!

http://asylumpeacekeeper.blogspot.com

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2pittsburghboys
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:40 PM
How about using sunbutter. Made from Sunflower seeds but has the consistentsy of peanuts butter. Is he able to have natural sugar like in fruit??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dommad2
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Nope no natural sugar. The closest he can come is some veggies. I think we'll give sunbutter a try, I'll have to add that to the talk with his teacher though to explain that its totally not peanut butter.

Quoting 2pittsburghboys:

How about using sunbutter. Made from Sunflower seeds but has the consistentsy of peanuts butter. Is he able to have natural sugar like in fruit??

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Hummus w/ pita chips or celery,  Cream cheese (i dont think is sweetened) and meat sandwiches,  Whole grain breads or pastas with a homemade cream sauce.

dommad2
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Thanks! I do have to watch his pasta intake but I'll definately see if he likes hummus.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Hummus w/ pita chips or celery,  Cream cheese (i dont think is sweetened) and meat sandwiches,  Whole grain breads or pastas with a homemade cream sauce.

lkane81
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Wow um sorry.dont.have toworry bout that so i really cant help.much nut maybe salads boiled eggs soup .
I would have a heck of a time if he cam have sandwiches maybe turkey or chicken samdwiches cheese sticks crackers ..
dommad2
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Thanks!

Quoting lkane81:

Wow um sorry.dont.have toworry bout that so i really cant help.much nut maybe salads boiled eggs soup .
I would have a heck of a time if he cam have sandwiches maybe turkey or chicken samdwiches cheese sticks crackers ..

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Obviously do not use the nut suggestions from this unless you want to do that at home.  

If you are trying to lose weight or eat healthier, reducing your sugar intake is a good way to start. People with diabetes also need to eliminate sugar from their diet. At lunch, choose from a variety of healthy and sugar-free meals. Check food labels whenever possible because added sugar is an unexpected ingredient in many foods.

Sandwiches and Wraps

Enjoy sandwiches featuring ingredients that have no added sugar. Tuna, which is low in calories but high in protein, is a healthy choice. Mix canned tuna with lemon juice and herbs, instead of the customary mayonnaise. Make healthy and nutritious egg salad sandwiches using egg whites only and light mayonnaise. Avoid breads that are made with high-fructose corn syrup or other sugars, and go with whole-grain versions for the best nutrition. Instead of bread, wrap ingredients in a whole wheat tortilla or lettuce leaf.

Salads

A salad with dark, leafy green vegetables is a sugar-free lunch choice, as long as you avoid store-bought dressings that contain sugar. Romaine lettuce is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid and potassium. Add your favorite vegetables, such as carrots, onions, tomatoes and peppers. To increase your protein, add cooked tofu, chicken, shredded cheese or seeds. Make your own salad dressing by mixing balsamic vinegar and olive oil and avoid sugar-laden commercial brands.

Soups

Soups are a good option for a hearty, delicious and nutritious lunch. Make soup at home to control the amount of sugar, sodium and calories. For a more filling soup, add legumes, such as kidney beans or black beans. These ingredients are high in fiber, helping you to feel fuller longer and less likely to munch on sugary snacks later in the day. For healthier soups, choose vegetable broth selections over creamy soups.

Sides and Beverages

If you enjoy something sweet after lunch, treat yourself to a sugar-free gelatin snack that is low in calories. Puddings or popsicles are also available in sugar-free versions. A handful of dry-roasted or raw nuts or seeds can complement your lunch without adding any sugar. Ensure that you drink water along with your lunch. If you prefer another beverage, add natural fruit juices that contain no sugar.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/549421-healthy-and-delicious-lunch-options-containing-no-sugar/#ixzz2OJugQesE
dommad2
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Thanks!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Obviously do not use the nut suggestions from this unless you want to do that at home.  

If you are trying to lose weight or eat healthier, reducing your sugar intake is a good way to start. People with diabetes also need to eliminate sugar from their diet. At lunch, choose from a variety of healthy and sugar-free meals. Check food labels whenever possible because added sugar is an unexpected ingredient in many foods.

Sandwiches and Wraps

Enjoy sandwiches featuring ingredients that have no added sugar. Tuna, which is low in calories but high in protein, is a healthy choice. Mix canned tuna with lemon juice and herbs, instead of the customary mayonnaise. Make healthy and nutritious egg salad sandwiches using egg whites only and light mayonnaise. Avoid breads that are made with high-fructose corn syrup or other sugars, and go with whole-grain versions for the best nutrition. Instead of bread, wrap ingredients in a whole wheat tortilla or lettuce leaf.

Salads

A salad with dark, leafy green vegetables is a sugar-free lunch choice, as long as you avoid store-bought dressings that contain sugar. Romaine lettuce is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid and potassium. Add your favorite vegetables, such as carrots, onions, tomatoes and peppers. To increase your protein, add cooked tofu, chicken, shredded cheese or seeds. Make your own salad dressing by mixing balsamic vinegar and olive oil and avoid sugar-laden commercial brands.

Soups

Soups are a good option for a hearty, delicious and nutritious lunch. Make soup at home to control the amount of sugar, sodium and calories. For a more filling soup, add legumes, such as kidney beans or black beans. These ingredients are high in fiber, helping you to feel fuller longer and less likely to munch on sugary snacks later in the day. For healthier soups, choose vegetable broth selections over creamy soups.

Sides and Beverages

If you enjoy something sweet after lunch, treat yourself to a sugar-free gelatin snack that is low in calories. Puddings or popsicles are also available in sugar-free versions. A handful of dry-roasted or raw nuts or seeds can complement your lunch without adding any sugar. Ensure that you drink water along with your lunch. If you prefer another beverage, add natural fruit juices that contain no sugar.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/549421-healthy-and-delicious-lunch-options-containing-no-sugar/#ixzz2OJugQesE

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:14 PM
We are sugar free. Brown rice pasta doesn't raise blood sugar like wheat. I would avoid wheat altogether because it raises blood sugar.
We do salads, veggies, organic brown rice cakes, Brown rice and beans, we cook a whole chicken and the kids eat that, string cheese, rice crackers and cream cheese, almond butter on the rice cakes or to dip veggies in, nuts, hard boiled eggs...
You can Google paleo or anti Candida recipes and get a ton of ideas. We are anti Candida. Paleo is similar but doesn't use grains. Bob's red mill makes a gluten free biscuit and baking mix and my kids like the pancakes I make with them even cold. You can use stevia as a sweetener.
dommad2
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Thanks! 

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

We are sugar free. Brown rice pasta doesn't raise blood sugar like wheat. I would avoid wheat altogether because it raises blood sugar.
We do salads, veggies, organic brown rice cakes, Brown rice and beans, we cook a whole chicken and the kids eat that, string cheese, rice crackers and cream cheese, almond butter on the rice cakes or to dip veggies in, nuts, hard boiled eggs...
You can Google paleo or anti Candida recipes and get a ton of ideas. We are anti Candida. Paleo is similar but doesn't use grains. Bob's red mill makes a gluten free biscuit and baking mix and my kids like the pancakes I make with them even cold. You can use stevia as a sweetener.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)