Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What does a challenging teacher mean to you?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM
  • 9 Replies

A mom and I were talking about our daughters' 4th grade teacher.  She complained that her DD is frustrated with the teacher's laid-back attitude.  My daughter and I like the guy.  He's enthusiastic and makes learning fun.  His laid-back attitude has allowed my DD's creativity to flourish.  While he isn't going to help the kids get into the Ivies, he is allowing them to develop their own individual person.  Anyway, the mom wants to request a more challenging teacher for her daughter next year.  I am the classroom mom so I know how her DD acts in school.  The DD prefers to talk than to listen and work, which leads me to think that she needs a firm and serious teacher, not a challenging one.  In my mind, challenging means learning at a higher level regardless of the teacher's teaching style.  What does a "challenging teacher" mean to you?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM

A challenging one could have a firmer "touch "on the students keeping them grounded and on task.  I was worried about us going from a teacher who has 30 yrs experience to a teacher with only 3 yrs experience in school but so far everything is going great.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:31 AM

To me a challenging teacher would be one who has a firm handle on their class and at the time is constantly raising the bar of their expectations.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Agree 100%

Quoting Pukalani79:

To me a challenging teacher would be one who has a firm handle on their class and at the time is constantly raising the bar of their expectations.

sarahjoy
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I think of a challenging teacher as one who consistantly challenges students to push themselves to build on their prior knowledge no matter what level they are at.  Always pushing them to the next step.  Demanding their best effort, not allowing excuses for everything, holding students and parents to life long characteristics such as responsiblity.  

I don't think a challenging teacher automatically means "firmer" regarding behavior or work level alone... but always pushing the students to be a bit better than they are (after all everyone can always be better at something).

MsLogansMommy
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:49 AM

I think there are different definitions of challenging and not every parent is going to agree. For me personally I view challenging as a teacher who challenges kids academically as well as behaviorally. Who has expectations that do not exceed what the students are capable but also makes them reach out of their comfort zone. Its a hard balance to achieve and even harder since not all the students learn at the same pace. I have had teachers in my life that I felt were challenging but other classmates didn't see them the same way so it is also subjective.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I agree. Challenging means higher level content, higher expectations for work, and higher expectations for independence. 

I also agree your friend wants a strict teacher, not a challenging one. A teacher like the one you described could be very challenging. 

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM

My dd likes to talk but she has completed her work perfectly and is done several minutes before the next student.  I wish they would challenge her as in give her work that is actually hard and makes her think. 

Pnukey
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM

To me, a challenging teacher encourages in-depth thinking.

I agree that it sounds like Chatty-Cathy needs a firm teacher, not necessarily a challenging one.

corrinacs
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:42 PM

You are right, a challenging teacher to me is one that fosters higher learning and doesn't just stop "where the book ends".  If a child is exhibiting acts of boredom or giftedness, then this type of teacher will notice and provide extra opportunties for this student.

A strict teacher is not necissarily a challenging one.

However, if her student is bored, then she can act out by talking instead of listening.  But its hard for me to say.

Good luck :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)