Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Charter, private, home, or public schools

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:18 AM
  • 73 Replies
I am trying to figure out the big hype over these charter schools.
I know private school are great but too expensive.
Home school don't know much about it.
And public schools are over crowded.
Where does ur child attend and what's ur opinion on these schools?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Catholic school and its a good school I went there myself and its one of the better schools in the area. Catholic schools tend to have more funding than public schools do around here.
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM
My son attends a charter homeschool program and I love it.
jlynnsalazar
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:23 AM
My children attended military school on base and we loved it. Well we r no longer military and I am looking for a decent school. The school they attend is small, but seems like the teachers really don't care.
What is a charter school???
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:23 AM

My kids are a part of a charter homeschool program as well.  The county provides the curriculum and any resources I might need.  The kids go 2-3 times a week for about 3 hours each time.  They meet with their friends, do crafts, some on-line schooling, and PE.  They love it. 

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this

The "hype" on "charter schools" is just that - hype.  They are not a magical panacea and most perform equal to or worse than their public school counterparts...  Some are fine, some are bad, some are good - but there are none in my area I would even consider sending my children to.

The public schools where my children attend are not overcrowded at all.

Our state has class size legislation. 

My older son is in second grade and essentially, his class can not be larger than 18 kids.  He has 16 in his class.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Lucky you here it's 25 kids in kindergarten.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

The "hype" on "charter schools" is just that - hype.  They are not a magical panacea and most perform equal to or worse than their public school counterparts...  Some are fine, some are bad, some are good - but there are none in my area I would even consider sending my children to.

My older son is in second grade and essentially, his class can not be larger than 18 kids.  He has 16 in his class.

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Class size amendment was one thing our state did the right thing on...

Our Kindergarten classes are sitting at 16 or less.  (They have the same cap of 18 max).

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Lucky you here it's 25 kids in kindergarten.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

LucyHarper
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:22 AM
2 moms liked this

My kids go to a public school. It isn't overcrowded and I couldn't ask for a better school.

sarahjoy
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM
2 moms liked this

My kindergarten class is 25 students cap.... and that is a low amount for around here.. there are some schools with classes that have 30 kids.  I am also lucky enough to have a full day assistant that pulls small groups. 

I teach at a charter school... (is a free charter school and all students are accepted).  Like another poster said... schools are schools.... some are good some are bad.. I dont think it really depends on the "type" of school.  I teach at a charter school... but I could get a job at any other type of school... just because Im in a different school doesnt mean I teach differently. 

It has a lot to do with "student make up"...as well as quality teachers....I feel I am a good teacher.. the 4 years ive been teaching usually 95% come to me below grade level... and by the end of the year I get them all at or above grade level.  (with the exception of special needs or kids that come mid year).  But my school is still considered failing bc we get so many new students each year that are 2-3 grades below.  Example... this year alone we had over 150 new students... 75% of our 3rd grade came new and almost all of them way below grade level.  So the teachers got them up closer to grade level but its almost impossible to raise a kid who is 3 grade levels below to on level in one year.  so they fail the state testing and thats all the state goes on when determining a "good" school here.  They dont look at statistics of the students, improvement levels, special needs  and so on. 

Schools are like people... they come in different forms (charter, public, private, theme based, turnaround, magnet and so on)... some are good some are not so good.  just like people come in different races, ethnicities, income levels, shapes, sizes... some are good, some not so good.  all depends on the individual person just like it all depends on the individual school.

TJFBGMommy
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:59 AM

My kids go to an alternative public school (not a charter school) and I love it  But it's certainly not the right fit for every child or every family. But it's great for us. Like other people have said, there are good charter schools and bad charter schools. Even within the same district. The best thing to do is do your research, talk to people, visit the schools, check out test scores, graduation rates, etc...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)