Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Charter, private, home, or public schools

Posted by   + Show Post
I am trying to figure out the big hype over these charter schools.
I know private school are great but too expensive.
Home school don't know much about it.
And public schools are over crowded.
Where does ur child attend and what's ur opinion on these schools?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Replies (21-30):
rsrangel
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:11 AM

2 of my boys go to a private school.  They get a scholarship from Step Up for Students.  My 2 other kids I homeschool.  However, my son used to go to a charter school here and it was amazing (but an exception to the other charter schools in our area which aren't as good).  The principle believes in family time therefore the elementary school doesn't have homework.  They start introducing it in the middle school slowly and in high school they do have it.  There extracurricular programs are exceptional as well.  My nieces and nephews all went to these schools and are in the high school now.  They are set to graduate early and the extracurricular programs have started preparing them for their future career goals.  The only reason I pulled my son out was because of a disorder he has and homeschooling was what he needed.  Now that my other kids are ready to go to school, I regret pulling him out because it's over a year waiting list!!!!  But personally, it's the only charter school I would send mine too.  The others aren't so good here.

supermeof3
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:13 AM

We have experience w/ almost all of them....

My oldest dd went to public Kind.  In our area, the public schools are terrible.

She then moved onto a charter.  Personally, I really liked it, but missed the teaching of religion that a private school would offer.  To me, the charter school had more structure, teaching respect and better teachers than our public schools.  We were going to continue w/ this route, but they didn't offer sibling preference and the only way you could get in was if you were chosen by their "lottery system".   We then sent our oldest 2 to a Catholic school, which was nice, but the tuition was raised substantially so we had to pull them and are now cyber schooling, which is going really well.  It's a bit like traditional homeschooling, but they provide the curriculum, school books, (we even have computers sent to us to use during the school year) and the children have "teachers" that they can contact if need be and they touch base w/ the children and myself every two weeks.  It's working pretty well for us :)

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM
That's interesting. My son's charter homeschool is the same way but is ran by the school district. I've never heard of one ran by a private corporation.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We got it all covered...

My kids go to a privately owned Homeschool based public charter. School. It's a CA public school owned by a corporation not a school district.

We have been there 5 years and love the program. I can choose all my own curriculum as long as it is at least grade level, meaning my 4th grader may do 6th grade work but not 3rd without an IEP or testing.

They offer music and art, theater, small business classes, all sorts of special activities and will pay for pe or elective classes and tutoring.

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Public School and home schooling - We love our public school and where we are at. They are not over crowded and they get all the help they need if need be. My oldest has speech delay and some other learning disabilities and gets all the help he needs from the school. If we had to pay for a specialties. She would not be able to get the help she needs. My second has speech to but because of the way she hears her sister talk. So it is to work on getting her to change it and in a year won't need speech anymore.

We also home school every time we can. When we go out to a museum we take the chance. You can pretty much home school every day with  like cooking, reading with them, and so much more. Really if we look at it. We all kind of home school in my opinion. Unless you are not taking this time to teach them things.

During the summer we do some work sheets, activities to help keep them on track.

aj23
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM

My son goes to a public school and the schools here are far from overcrowded. There's been at most 18 kids in his class and as few as 14. One of the big reasons I chose the public over the private was the student teacher ratio was much lower in the public.
Charter schools are hit and miss. There are some great schools and some that should have been closed a long time ago. They aren't limited as much as the public schools are but they aren't expensive and religious like most private schools. There isn't one near here but they can be a really good option if you can get in.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I love all of the stereotypical misconceptions in your OP. Private schools aten't always the best and public schools aren't always the worst.

EVERY SCHOOL has pros and cons. You need to reasearch the schools in your specific area to find the best fit for your family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM
That is very common these days.

These companies open them up as a sort of franchise.

They are often run by hedge fund managers, not educators. It is sad.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

That's interesting. My son's charter homeschool is the same way but is ran by the school district. I've never heard of one ran by a private corporation.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We got it all covered...

My kids go to a privately owned Homeschool based public charter. School. It's a CA public school owned by a corporation not a school district.

We have been there 5 years and love the program. I can choose all my own curriculum as long as it is at least grade level, meaning my 4th grader may do 6th grade work but not 3rd without an IEP or testing.

They offer music and art, theater, small business classes, all sorts of special activities and will pay for pe or elective classes and tutoring.

lovinglife0682
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
As usual I completely agree.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

The "hype" on "charter schools" is just that - hype.  They are not a magical panacea and most perform equal to or worse than their public school counterparts...  Some are fine, some are bad, some are good - but there are none in my area I would even consider sending my children to.

The public schools where my children attend are not overcrowded at all.

Our state has class size legislation. 

My older son is in second grade and essentially, his class can not be larger than 18 kids.  He has 16 in his class.

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Dd attends a public IB magnet school. We love it. There is 18 kids in DD's kindergarten class (and that includes dd). There is only 380 kids in K-5th.
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM

My dd attends a charter and was previously homeschooled. Her school has it's pros and cons but overall is awesome. Ds is homeschooled and will be for at least another year or two. Homeschooling has many forms and there are good homeschoolers and bad ones just like schools. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN