Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What is your child's relationship like with their teacher?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM
  • 24 Replies

Does your child speak to the teacher directly when there is a problem or do you do it for your child?

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM

My kids are very young. But they speak to the teacher. If my 5 year old complains to me about something I tell him he needs to talk to her before I will. I've only ended up calling once. 

My fourth grade students almost always talk to me first. I do have one student in particular who goes to his mom. The others all come right to me when something happens. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I have raised my children to "own" their education.  I do NOT fight their battles for them.  I will give them the "tools" to handle the situation, i.e. what to say, but I will NOT intervene.  My oldest and my youngest do NOT like to speak to the teachers, but have learned that when they do, the problem is usually immediately corrected.  My daughter now admits as she finishes junior high, that me making her do this in elementary prepared her for the upper grades. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM
It depends.

DD struggles in school but thinks she's a brilliant student so she doesn't know always know when to ask for help. I usually send an email letting the teacher know when she's struggling with homework or a concept. If it's a social issue, she will talk to the teacher on her own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:47 AM
I give my daughter the tools to talk to her teacher herself. Shes in 2nd grade. My preschooler hasnt really had any issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deadlights86
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Neither we both hate his teacher and his school we're waiting to be moved to a program that is trained to help ds and undo the damage that his current school is causing him.

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I teach them to handle things themselves.

Obviously if there was an extreme situation of some type, I could step in.

If there is something we need clarified, I expect my second grader to ask and get the answer.

We've never had a "negative" issue to deal with, but if there is a question on a project, a question about a date, etc... my son asks himself.

Last year my son did have an issue with two friends who kind of "teamed up" against him for a bit and did some unkind things... We talked, we practiced various appropriate ways to handle it and he did well. I monitored it closely from the sides, but I wanted my son to know he WAS capable of handling himself and dealing with issues competently.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Moms_Angels1960
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:58 AM

My child speaks directly to the teacher then will tell me about it later. If I feel that something is not resolved then I will talk to who ever I need to about it.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM

My dd speaks to her teachers for the most part. There have been a couple of occassions where dd has been bullied but doesn't want to lose the "friend" where I have had to step in and talk to the teachers. They are very good about mediating between them and solving the issues for the most part. 

proudmommy690
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM
My daughter loves her teacher and is always talking to her lol
Precious333
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Excellent, I'm their teacher.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN