Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Are you making any of these mistakes in leading your children?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkParadox
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure I'm making mistakes, but not those
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM

The only one of those that I'm making is that I "rave too much"...I was never told that I was smart,or special,or had any kind of praise so I may over do it with my daughter.

Pnukey
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Nope.

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I completely agree with that article. Our kids are growing up so entitled and with little experiences and not becoming productive adults. Some fear and heartache is good for them. Lets stop sheltering so much! I dont do these things either. Learning the hard lessons the hard way has made me stronger and wiser in my adult years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM
This.

Quoting PinkParadox:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Quoting PinkParadox:

LOVE this response! Lol
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that you're going to lots of replies here from moms who say they don't do these things, but really do. 

I don't think many parents realize the how issues described in the article impact their kids. 

I can admit I guilty of number 3. It's instinctual to rave over every little thing. I had some training this summer that helped me really see how over praising and rewarding my students is detrimental. I realize the same is true of my own kids.  

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:56 PM

This is something I think is really important for parents to understand. 

Further, Dr. Robert Cloninger, at Washington University in St. Louis has done brain research on the prefrontal cortex, which monitors the reward center of the brain. He says the brain has to learn that frustrating spells can be worked through. The reward center of our brains learns to say: Don’t give up. Don’t stop trying. “A person who grows up getting too frequent rewards,” Cloninger says, “will not have persistence, because they’ll quit when the rewards disappear.”

MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM
We grew up climbing trees, staying outside till dark and just being kids. I admit I don't take dd outside as much as I should but being an only child, it's not too much fun playing at the playground by yourself.

I'm guilty of two just a little. She's very independent and dependent at some things. She's my only child so sometimes it's just easier to do it for her but not all things.

I always praise her when she does something good or gets good grades but I don't over due it.
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM
I may do number 3 a little to much but that's about it.

I definitely don't do #1. I always say my children- if your knees are scrapped, your covered in mud and have a few new bruises, It's been a good fun day.
I don't let DD play outside alone yet because she's not even two but DS is outside almost everyday -gasp- unsupervised. He's climbing trees, playing in the dirt, riding his bike, exploring the feilds (I do make him take the dog though)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)