Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Snack bins ***UPDATED***

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM
  • 15 Replies

I posted a thing on my child's food issues a few days ago (Lying and Stealing).  I've been advised to set up a snack bin for him with a certain number of snacks each day,  that he can take as he pleases.  Then once they are gone, he's done snacking for the day.  I really like this idea.  He will probably eat everything at once for a few days, but after a few days I think he will figure it out.  But here's my question:  How many snacks do you think I should put in the bin each day?  Here's the catch....we have 4 kids (with him being the oldest), so I think to make it fair I will have to do a bin for all the kids.  And we are on a tight budget since I'm doing a full-time internship and money is really tight.  Usually they get the 3 meals plus 2 - 3 snacks and occasionally a dessert.  So, how many snacks for each kid do you think I should put in the bins?

**UPDATE** Several people have said tohave certain times set when they can get a snack from the bin.  Let me clarify:  If I set up this bin system, but then give them the times they are allowed to have snack, I'm not doing anything different then I normally do except storing the snacks in the bins instead of the pantry.  Normally, the kids get 2 snacks minimum around the same time each day between meals, and they pick what the want to eat at that time.  The problem is that my son who we adopted has food issues where he has been stealing food - it used to be he would hide/hoard food, now he's stealing it from other kids at school.  My kids do not have free range in the kitchen because we would be shopping every day and broke.  So, we were advised to give him his own bin with the days snacks and he could have the control to decide when he would eat them, as along as he understood that was it for the day and the bin wouldn't be refilled.  So I was going to just do it for all the kids to make it fair.  HERE'S MY PROBLEM....it's 11:00 and 2 of the kids have plowed through them all already.  Of course my oldest did which I'm not surprised with his issue, but for the younger ones, as lunch time approaches and they start to feel hungry, they are eating it all not thinking about how they will have nothing later when they are hungry and would normally be given a snack.  So, do I throw out the bins and go back to set snack times like normal?  Or do I keep the bins and let the kids figure out self control and saving their snacks instead of eating it all the second they feel hungry?  That's where I'm confused - if I take your advice and set snack times of when they can get a snack from the bin, I'm just doing the same thing I've always done.  Also, I just don't understand how this bin system will solve his food-stealing issue!!  Don't you think that if he eats it all the second his bin is full, he will just try and sneak food later when he's hungry?!?  Sorry...frusterated and confused.  Thank you everyone for your advice!    

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:13 AM
I would start with 4-5 or oldest and depending on age for youngest...

It doesn't have to be a lot of food. 1/2 cup cereal.. 5 crackers... If it's fruit/veggies 1/2 cup or 1/2 apple...

Good luck!

* I would move it down from 4-5 after a week or 2.. back to your normal 2-3 once he has the concept down..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM
I agree. You can halve the portions to increase the # of snacks but not really increase how much they're eating.

I think this sounds like a great solution.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

I would start with 4-5 or oldest and depending on age for youngest...

It doesn't have to be a lot of food. 1/2 cup cereal.. 5 crackers... If it's fruit/veggies 1/2 cup or 1/2 apple...

Good luck!

* I would move it down from 4-5 after a week or 2.. back to your normal 2-3 once he has the concept down..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Supernanny did this, to help set up a routine for a family of kids who were used to snacking all day long... what she did- got a large, wide mouthed jar for each kid (I have seen similar ones come full of cheese doodles or pretzles), and into the jar went their snacks for the day.  The parents picked out the snacks- fresh fruits, crackers, granola bars, whatever... and the kids picked from what was available- they had to pick some fruit, then other stuff. 

I think I remember mom still regulating snack time, but the kids could pick whatever they wanted from thier snack jar at snack time.

If you give the kids 2-3 snacks a day, that is what you should put in the bin.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM

2-3 snacks. Tell them one snack between meals, and put a picture of a clock when the snack can be consumed, say... 10:30, 1:30, 4:30.... to give them an idea of an appropriate time to have a snack. One of the things to emphasize though, a snack does not a meal make. So, if they miss a meal, then no snack until after that meal is consumed. Some kds will eat all snacks and then not eat a healthy balanced meal.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Oh that's a great idea.  I think I'll try it for my guy who has spd and doesn't feel hunger/full.  He will eat himself sick and beg for more food.  Hmmm... he would love this!  Thanks

I think I will start with 4 small snacks in the bin for each kid.  I have 2 kids

rsrangel
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:13 AM

bump for update

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM
I would keep with the bins, remind them when they are hungry that they went through all their snacks early and they need to manage them better the next day.

Btw. How old are all the children?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rsrangel
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Quoting mommaFruFru:

I would keep with the bins, remind them when they are hungry that they went through all their snacks early and they need to manage them better the next day.

They are 8, 6, 5 and 4.  And surprisingly, the 5 and 4 year old are the only two that have been managing them so they have some later lol. 

matofour
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Have you seen a therapist? I don't think this will solve this problem. Sounds like it's a deeper issue, a worry of being hungry. You said he was adopted right? I would see a therapist.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Ohhhhh. Lol
How many snacks did you decide to start with?

Quoting rsrangel:

Quoting mommaFruFru:

They are 8, 6, 5 and 4.  And surprisingly, the 5 and 4 year old are the only two that have been managing them so they have some later lol. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)