Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT-never expected a parent Update in blue Update in Red

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 90 Replies
1 mom liked this

The girl is back and I checked the baby and it wasn't neglected at all and she did take care of it while at the doctor or hospital. 

just to let you all know that if she is put in the hospital, which it looks like she may have been, will be put into consideration and she can either redo it or something can be worked out.  I'm not that heartless.

As you all know, I'm a Spanish teacher.  Well, I also teach one class of Family and Consumer Science (not qualified, got pushed into it when I started in the district).  Well, we are doing the baby dolls.  You know the real life dolls that cry that is supposed to teach them what it's like to care for a baby and hopefully steer them from having babies at such a young age.  IMO, they need to do it in junior high since they are already  pregnant when we get them in high school.  Anyway, a mother of one my students that has the baby called today saying that they are taking her to the hospital for possible gallbladder issues and so she may not be near the baby.  Um, can't the mother watch the baby while this goes on?  I would think that if the girl had a real baby that the mom would watch it or find a babysitter.  Thanks for the info but I'll still dock the grade (not by much) if the baby is neglected.  The point of them is to teach them responsibility of another human.  If I had to go to the hospital, I'd have to find someone to watch my baby.  If this mother had to go, she'd find someone to watch the baby.  Don't ignore it just because it's a doll and not real.  In the words of my son, oh, wow.

What would you do if your child was doing this for a class and this situation occured?  As the parent.

family in the van   Mom of four

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM
12 moms liked this

This assignment is for the student, not the mom. And it is still a doll. A medical issue has arisen, and needs to be taken care of over a school assignment. A student's health is more important and more of a priority than your assignment. Mom is taking care of her real daughter, and shouldn't be stuck taking care of your doll.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I totally agree with you. I would also let the teacher know this is not a priority for us today.

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

This assignment is for the student, not the mom. And it is still a doll. A medical issue has arisen, and needs to be taken care of over a school assignment. A student's health is more important and more of a priority than your assignment. Mom is taking care of her real daughter, and shouldn't be stuck taking care of your doll.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvingMy3Girls
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep this. Real life trumps assignment

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmcasey9
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:54 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree with the other moms.  This could be a good talking-point for your class though.  Ask them to imagine how much more difficult the situation would have been with a child.  What "complications" would have needed to have been accounted for if it had been a real baby.  You listed them in your OP, so share those concerns with your students.  If the family HAD included your assignment during this situation, I would have given her extra credit :)

geminimomoftwo
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

OK sounds like most here believe that "real life" trumps the assignment.  I have had my gallbladder taken out.  While painful it was not life threatening (although I'm sure in some instances can be) I had a 9 mo old when I had mine done.  Like the teacher said.... this assignment everyone seems to be blowing off is designed to teach a valuable lesson that this child's mother is blowing off as well. can she not ask a classmate to babysit?  If her daughter had a "real" child would she not care for it while she was in the hospital?  This is the issue with some parents now.  If we don't take school assignments seriously how in the heck can our children be expected to????

LuvingMy3Girls
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this
I see what your saying but honestly as a mom if I feel my alive, living breathing child needs to go to the hospital then the assignment will wait. I'm a parent who is 99.99% of the time on board with the teacher. This would be one of those situations I'd say that the assignment would not come first

Quoting geminimomoftwo:

OK sounds like most here believe that "real life" trumps the assignment.  I have had my gallbladder taken out.  While painful it was not life threatening (although I'm sure in some instances can be) I had a 9 mo old when I had mine done.  Like the teacher said.... this assignment everyone seems to be blowing off is designed to teach a valuable lesson that this child's mother is blowing off as well. can she not ask a classmate to babysit?  If her daughter had a "real" child would she not care for it while she was in the hospital?  This is the issue with some parents now.  If we don't take school assignments seriously how in the heck can our children be expected to????

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansusie
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I would probably tell you that my kid is in the hospital and I work, so I cannot take care of this doll. No job is going to give anyone a day off to take care of a doll. A REAL child is different. It would be a different story if the student couldn't take care of the baby cause she wanted to go to a party.

iansusie
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

She is calling the teacher to let her know. I am sorry but this is a doll, not a real baby. I am sure if this was a real baby the student and mother would have figured out something. I would watch a friend's REAL baby in a situation like this but I sure as hell will not get up in the middle of the night to take care of a doll for another kid because they have this assignment while they had a medical emergency., IT IS A DOLL. It will not die!. 

Quoting geminimomoftwo:

geminimomoftwo
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM
3 moms liked this

Well then she should be prepared to get a lower grade. She is refusing to complete the assignment.  The "mother" didnt ask if her daughter could do the assignment at another time, just that it would not be done.  I agree with the teacher in giving a lower grade, she has many other options than just refusing to complete it. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I had my gallbladder taken out when my son was 4 months old, and yes, in real life, I had to find family to assist with caring for my newborn.

Yet, I still agree with the other comments that real life trumps this assignment. My son is a teen now, and if he had another surgery (he had his adenoids removed when a toddler), I would want to be there completely for his recovery instead of covering for some assignment doll that was not real.

Quoting geminimomoftwo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)