Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When to let them cook?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM
  • 33 Replies
My oldest is 7 and very interested in cooking. i have always let my kids make their own sandwiches, make toast, help mix ingredients to a cake and stuff but my question is when would be a good age to let them make eggs, French toast smaller stuff on the stove?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MJP76
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM

When they can reach it without being too close to the burners. If a stepping stool helps then so be it.

i have always let my kids help prepare dinners and such.. However I have short kids..lol so the two oldest I actually started to let them cook on the stove around 12. That's mostly just my paranoia though. 

Kermitthemom23
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Im starting to teach my 7 yo some simple recipes to do herself and having her help on others
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iansusie
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I think it depends on the child. Their maturity and their height are 2 important things. I would not let my 8yr old near a stove because #1 he is not tall enough to reach to stir or flip without a stool and #2 he is not mature or responsible enough to use the stove. I'd say they have to be at least 10!

jaytee
by Jen on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM

All by themselves? I say 9-10, that is just my opinion though. Helping? As early as you feel comfortable. My 4 year old is an excellent kitchen helper.

debramommyof4
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM

My 7 year old made homemade chicken strips and corn on the cob.  She also cooked Fathers Day breakfast.  I do have to stand there and watch her but she can do it herself.

Emeraldmama7
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM

My kids always help me in the kitchen.  Before and during the cooking process.  I allowed my 11 yr old daughter to cook a few things when she turned 10.  So far the only thing she has been able to do without my help is scrambled eggs.  She is a very mature yet cautious child and is afraid of burning herself on draining noodles or flipping things in a pan.  She does help me stir dinners often though, especially when I am breastfeeding the baby. 

907PickleMom
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM
I think maturity is a big thing.. DS is 5 1/2 and helps a lot and can make his own bowl of cereal or pb&j

Quoting iansusie:

I think it depends on the child. Their maturity and their height are 2 important things. I would not let my 8yr old near a stove because #1 he is not tall enough to reach to stir or flip without a stool and #2 he is not mature or responsible enough to use the stove. I'd say they have to be at least 10!

KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM
MINE HAVE STARTED PUTTING MILK IN THAR BOWL AT 6 .NOW MY 11 YEAR OLD CAN MAKE EGGS,PANCAKES,CAKES..MY 8 YEARS OLDS ARE DOING SIMPLE STUFF.
corrinacs
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I have no idea.  I was good at that by 8th grade or so, but I can't remember the first time my mom let me near the stove on my own (usualyl to help her out).

My son is 5 and we cook together now all the time.  But I'm right behind him.

Newfie_Mom
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM
My DD (8) cooks quite a bit with me standing next to her giving instructions or helping her understand what she read from a recipe. She can bake fairly independently (I stand next to her when putting in the oven and I take it out.) and if its microwaveable or toast oven made she is on her own. (Supervision for these stopped this year) I do go behind her to make sure she turns everything off and I'm always in the kitchen with her even if I'm not standing by her side supervising.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)