Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What books do you want your kids to read?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM
  • 26 Replies

A spin-off of maxwolfsuit's post about books for kids to read before they are 10 - 

What books do you want to make sure your kids read (or have read to them) at some point?  Whether they are on a list - or just something you like.

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM

My list is pretty long, and I'm guessing I'll be saying "oh, yes, that book too!" to many replies to this post. :)

I was thinking about this at the library last week.  I usually just let my boys pick out what they want & that's what they read.  They pick out so many non-fiction books (books on states, presidents, science topics etc) along with fiction books that I usually go with what they want.  But there are some books I want them to read (or have me read to them):

Bread & Jam for Francis (and the other books about her)

All Beverly Cleary books

Make Way for Ducklings (and other Robert McCloskey books, we've already read One Morning in Maine)

When they are old enough, the Newbery Award books, Little House books.  

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:58 PM

We are into Eric Carle books since the stories are usually about different personality traits.  The little miss/ mr men series.   Mo Willems has some great books.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM

DD also likes Splat the Cat series,  Junie B- first grader , Skippy Jon Jones, etc.

berlgirl1224
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Anything they're interested in. So far we've done all the captain underpants books, and diary of a wimpy kid. We've (them) read a bunch of the goosebumps books. They've also read books about presidents, animals, kid encyclopedias, joke books, etc. we get around
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jamianne
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM

When they get older, I want them to read the classics - Shakespeare, Chaucer, Homer, Bronte, etc.  I want them to read anything that interests them, but I'd like them to also be well-read as well.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Quoting jamianne:

When they get older, I want them to read the classics - Shakespeare, Chaucer, Homer, Bronte, etc.  I want them to read anything that interests them, but I'd like them to also be well-read as well.

Yes!  That is precisely why I'm thinking about this.

I was feeling neglectful when I realized that I haven't read any of the Francis books to them yet (they are 6 & 4).  Somehow, those seem like childhood classics to me - maybe just because I remember them from when I was a child.  So it just got me thinking about what books I want to make sure they read or have read to them.

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Anything by Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume.  The America Girl books, A Wrinkle in Time, The Giver series, etc.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Lol sounds like my house. Those 2 series are ds's favorites. He just got Big Nate and James Patterson's Middle School series.

Quoting berlgirl1224:

Anything they're interested in. So far we've done all the captain underpants books, and diary of a wimpy kid. We've (them) read a bunch of the goosebumps books. They've also read books about presidents, animals, kid encyclopedias, joke books, etc. we get around

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm taking their lead - im going to facilitate them having access to any books they are interested in.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Whatever he wants. Ds loves to read so I'll get him whatever books he wants. When we went to Barnes and Noble last week he picked out 3 biographies, Big Nate, a Middle School book, a science book, and a diary. He's 7 and is reading Winn Dixie right now for school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)