Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Skateboarder Wasn't Wearing a Helment

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:06 PM
  • 24 Replies

Please make your kids wear helmets. It could save their lives. This is from the Colorado Springs Police Blotter.

On Saturday, March 16, 2013, the Colorado Springs Police Department was notified of an accident involving a thirteen year old male who had been injured while riding a skateboard. Officers were sent to the area to investigate the accident. When they arrived, officers found that the victim had been transported to a local hospital in serious condition. The officers later learned that the victim succumbed to his injuries.

The investigation revealed that the victim, and his friend, were skateboarding down one of the streets in the neighborhood when the victim lost control of his board. The victim hit a curb on the west side of Howard Ave and was thrown from the skateboard and struck his head on the ground. The victim was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM
So sad and unnecessary...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM
That's awful... Poor family and his friends. Ds just came back inside from boarding ..and he did wear his helmet....
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM

That's terrible. 

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM
So sad. My son collided on his bike with another boy last week. Days didn't move for a while and it scared me to death! He was wearing a helmet and just had a scrape. His friend was not wearing a helmet but lucky for him he landed on top of my son.
MentorMom1
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Just make sure your son's helmet is secure. There should be very little wiggle room under the strap. And it should not move back and forth. Also, after a solid impact, the helmet needs to be replaced. Who knew, right?

Make sure your son tells you if this occurs - no punishments included. After researching a story on helmet safely and talking to experts, I learned that a strong hit lessens the shock resistance of the material. Something happens to it and it loses its effectiveness.

Quoting calsmom62:

That's awful... Poor family and his friends. Ds just came back inside from boarding ..and he did wear his helmet....

MentorMom1
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I just posted a quote that I want you to read. Especially since your son was wearing a helmet when he collided. Did his helmet take a hit? A lot of parents don't know that after impact, a helmet can lose it ability to act as an effective shock absorber.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

So sad. My son collided on his bike with another boy last week. Days didn't move for a while and it scared me to death! He was wearing a helmet and just had a scrape. His friend was not wearing a helmet but lucky for him he landed on top of my son.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Not that I can tell.  I'm very particular about their helmets.  They know not to drop or throw them and they must be put away in their rooms right after we get home.

Quoting MentorMom1:

I just posted a quote that I want you to read. Especially since your son was wearing a helmet when he collided. Did his helmet take a hit? A lot of parents don't know that after impact, a helmet can lose it ability to act as an effective shock absorber.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:44 PM

How sad. I have witnessed 2 motorcycle accidents, where the rider wasn't wearing a helmet. Both times, their head 'bounced' off the road. One was last year. I stayed as a witness to that accidents. It wasn't the riders fault, but, it wouldn't have been as bad on his head had he been wearing a helmet. Sad

MentorMom1
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:04 PM

How crazy, riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Imagine, if you're wearing a leather jacket and crash. The leather can be scraped completely off the jacket. It could have been skin. Same with helmets.

My brother was riding his motorcycle in college and hit by a car that was drag racing down the road. His helmet went through the windshield and he bounced off, onto the side of the road. He was clinically dead. And they brought him back.  Lucky he was wearing his helmet.

Quoting BuckeyezRule:

How sad. I have witnessed 2 motorcycle accidents, where the rider wasn't wearing a helmet. Both times, their head 'bounced' off the road. One was last year. I stayed as a witness to that accidents. It wasn't the riders fault, but, it wouldn't have been as bad on his head had he been wearing a helmet. Sad

corrinacs
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I know!  I make sure my son wears his helmet whenever he's on anything with wheels!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)