Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Am I being too paranoid or a good mom?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:22 PM
  • 57 Replies

My DS (7) has two new friends (brothers) we live in a town house complex and they come over a lot (I am fine with that) and he goes there all fine (except for the rated M games that he now knows not to play)

Well today they wanted to go to the park (about 2 blocks from our place) their parents said they could go alone...I said no and I had to just finish cleaning and wait for my allergy pill to kick in but wondering if I am being too paranoid...at what age do you let your kids go somewhere with friends (around the same age) alone???

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Definintely not out of my eye sight at this age.   I will sit at the park and she can go wherever with her friends there within the boundaries of park.

Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Definintely not out of my eye sight at this age.   I will sit at the park and she can go wherever with her friends there within the boundaries of park.

what age??

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting frndlyfn:

what age??

I say about 9 yrs old for unsupervised play with friends 2 blocks away.   DD is only 7 so depending on where we live in 2 years , the age may get extended to older.

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

We feel very comfortable in our neighborhood and allow our daughter, who is 7, to go to the neighborhood park with her friends, which is also 2 blocks from our house.  She needs to tell us that she is going, when she returns, and if she ever goes anywhere other than that, she will lose privledges.  We have done random drop-ins to make sure they are not up to anything.

annelauer
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I think 7 is too young. I think the appropriate age depends on the child and the situation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JoanahLee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM

At 7, no.  We have a playground one block from our house. The building used to be a daycare, now its an office building, but they left the playground up and kids can use it after 4 when the office is closed. 

We let our 7 year old go with his 10 year old brother AND 4 other kids, but I would never let the younger kids go on their own, and I walked down to check on them with no warning after half an hour just to see what they were up to.  

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM

No way I would let anyone's kid do anything I was uncertain of myself without explicit consent from the child's parent.

That being said, I think 7 is too young for that.

MJP76
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Um before this neighborhood 11.

when we moved to this neighborhood I don't mind at all that my younest now 10 goes wherever he pleases with friends within a few blocks. He's been doing it since last year at age 9. We moved here when he was 8 I felt that was still too young.

Mommynwife26
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Not at 7. Maybe more 11-12 age range but 7 is where I can see them at all times.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I let ds1 and ds2 go to our neighborhood park (about a block away) at 7 as long as they were w/ at least 1 friend and took a walkie-talkie. Dd is 7, but she's too social- I'm not quite ready to trust her doing that yet. 

It depends on your child and your neighborhood as to what age you let them go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN