Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this annoy. you?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM
  • 34 Replies
Today the teachers organized a Special time for each group to go to an Egg hunt. We gave our authorization and whoever didnt Wanted to participate could stay home (basically today they just had different activities for the kids)
But even after parents signing the authorization the first grade teacher decided since she doesnt celebrate Easter her group was not participating.

while maybe having an Easter hunt is not the most appropriate thing to have at school, Ithink It was up to the parents, not the teacher to decide if the kid was not going to participate. I think she overstepped some boundaries here.

NOW I had to deal with a Sad 7 year Old because everyone was on the Easter hunt getting candy and Small treats (stickers erasers,bunny shaped Sharpeners) and he didn't. He was taking math while Seeing other kids play throug the window
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperWaned
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM
My phone has a mind of its Own. My apologies for the random punctuation and capitalization
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Yeah I would be annoyed. She should have notified everyone in advance that her class wouldn't be participating. Really surprised the principal let her get away with that.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
As a person who celebrates Easter, egg hunts are not what Easter is about!

I can see why you are upset. It was not the teachers decision to decide what her group was going to do.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I can see why you're annoyed. 

But I've been that teacher. Not because I don't celebrate Easter. But because I've had students that don't and honestly don't think an egg hunt is a productive use of class time. 

Different teachers do different activities. My class always complains as soon as they see other classes doing things we're not. I remind of them of things we've done that others haven't. 

I'm sure the egg hunt was hard for the students to accept. Did the class do anything fun in it's place?

SuperWaned
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I am thinking since the egg hunt could be seen as a religious thing maybe principal didn't Wanted to make a Fuss. But you can bet this is the School first egg hunt and I think is gonna be the last.
I am close with one of the teachers and she Says everyone was uncomfortable with the situation

Quoting bleumonster:

Yeah I would be annoyed. She should have notified everyone in advance that her class wouldn't be participating. Really surprised the principal let her get away with that.

SuperWaned
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM
They had normal classes like a regular day and then they had Cake with the other kids.

I see your point but In that case She should had informed parents in advance

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I can see why you're annoyed. 

But I've been that teacher. Not because I don't celebrate Easter. But because I've had students that don't and honestly don't think an egg hunt is a productive use of class time. 

Different teachers do different activities. My class always complains as soon as they see other classes doing things we're not. I remind of them of things we've done that others haven't. 

I'm sure the egg hunt was hard for the students to accept. Did the class do anything fun in it's place?

aj23
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have been upset and I would be calling someone. Here the whole school does the egg hunt. It's not a religious thing and it's just something fun for the kids.
An individual teacher should not have the authority to exclude a class from a school wide activity like that.
aetrom
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I think the problem is that she even sent Home authorization papers? And no a teacher should not have the authority if the parents have already been asked And agreed to something...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ramita
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this
I'd definitely be annoyed. I mean if she hadn't sent info home and the authorization letter it would be different, but since she sent that stuff home I don't see how its fair for those kids to be left out. Especially since I'm sure somebody had already mentioned to the kids about the egg hunt.
ThinkAgainMom
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Once she had communicated they WOULD participate (permission slips), she should not have pulled back, particulary with 1st graders.

BTW - There is NOTHING religious about rabbits, eggs or candy. That is simply a "Hallmark" holiday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)