Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it ok for a teacher to do this?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM
  • 49 Replies

Poll

Question: It is ok for teachers to talk about their class on social media?

Options:

Sure

Only if they don't mention names

No way

Other

purple fuzzy unicorns

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 140

View Results

Is it ok for a teacher to talk about specific things that happen in his/her class or things that students do on social media?  Why/why not?  Social media includes more than just Facebook.  CafeMom is also considered to be social media.

I can't give more specific details here since there aren't any.  lol  I'm a group mod starting a conversation on a subject that I thought could be interesting for us to discuss in this group given that we all should have kids in school.  Those who have been around for awhile, know that this is something that the mods do.

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
colins_mom
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:37 PM
nope.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM
As long as she doesn't name names, yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovingmomfarm
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:43 PM
4 moms liked this

I think it all depends on how it is done.  I think it would be okay to say that I have a student that has been struggling in math, pass his addition test.  I do not think it would be okay to say, man I have this student that does not know his addition facts and I don't know what to do with them, they are driving me crazy.  I think it would be okay to say or ask for advise on different methods for teaching addition facts for different a student that needs a little boost.  

Any time something is said it needs to be a positive comment. If it can be taken in a negative way at all it should not be posted.  Genders should NEVER be used and the same for names.  I would not even post grade or school.  

Is there a specific thing that you are asking about?

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I would need more specifics like is she calling out certain students due to what she has seen online and what ages are the students.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I think within reason and without naming names or giving specifics they should be allowed to.  We all go to facebook or cafemom :) or whatever and vent about our days. There's no reason a teacher cannot say "My class is driving me crazy today!"

lulu_tattoos
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think they should vent or be negative, given their position. 

I do think it's nice to see the little random updates I used to see on my son's fourth grade teacher's facebook feed about things they had done in class. Things that usually I wouldn't have heard about from my son or in the class newsletter. The little stuff kind of makes the year what it is, you know?

ermka
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM
As long as there are no names mentioned, sure why not. Teachers are people too.
AidanTiarra
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM
I think its okay as long as they don't use names and are not being intentionally cruel.
LuvingMy3Girls
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Yep as long as no names are mentioned. Teachers have a right to vent or talk about their day. I would hope they would put their page to private
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I think everyone makes comments on their days at work. No names though and I don't (think) I'd have a problem with it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)