Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Help please!!!

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM
  • 13 Replies
My Dd6 has pink eye, do i have to notify the school? i know we got letters for lice, chicken pox and scabies. so i am not sure if this is something i should tell them so they can keep an eye out for more kids with it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM

yes notify the school. especially since they can not attend for like the first 24 hours they had been put on antibiotics, since it is still contagious. plus anything your child had come in contact with I would clean to make sure no one touches it, then rubs there itchy eye to spread it. tht was the doctors advice to us. and to carry hand santaizer with us at all times

Mommynwife26
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Yeah i am already disenfecting (sp). i just didnt know if this was one of the things they should be notified for. i already checked my other kid and he has no pink in his eyes at all and neither does my 2yr old. so hopefully i can keep it contained to just her

Quoting sahmw2010:

yes notify the school. especially since they can not attend for like the first 24 hours they had been put on antibiotics, since it is still contagious. plus anything your child had come in contact with I would clean to make sure no one touches it, then rubs there itchy eye to spread it. tht was the doctors advice to us. and to carry hand santaizer with us at all times

QuirkyMom26
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Couldn't help but giggle at the pun. lol. Anyways you should definitely let them know! Keep your DD at home and get that treated from a doctor. SUPER contagious. 

Quoting Mommynwife26:

My Dd6 has pink eye, do i have to notify the school? i know we got letters for lice, chicken pox and scabies. so i am not sure if this is something i should tell them so they can keep an eye out for more kids with it?

annelauer
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM
You probably do. My husband got it once and wasn't allowed back at work without a doctors note saying he was no longer contagious. We've never had to get that for anything else. Apparently it's super contagious.
mommadana
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I would say YES.  It is highly contagious and a good warning.  Also if she goes to daycare, it's good to notify them too.  Lysol wipes and A lot of pillow case cleaning.  I would put a soft towel on DS pillow to sleep and anywhere he put his head so he doesn't reinfect himself and change it every day

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM

You've got to let them know that he's not going to be there, so it certainly wouldn't hurt to let them know why.

corrinacs
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Was she at school when she started exhibiting symptoms?  Ask the doctor when its originally contagious.  If she was in school during that period, then YES PLEASE tell them!  Nothing bad on you, but at least it lets other parents know that there's a possibility they may catch it.....and not assume its allergies until its too late.

luvmybug
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM
I would notify the school. Pink eye spreads fairly quickly, so they should be alerted to watch for signs of it in the other children.
Mommynwife26
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Apparently its contagious up to 24hrs before even showing symptoms. I called the school and informed them plus she wont be in for the rest of the week, and the dr is informing them too cause apparently they have to inform any school when they get a case of something this contagious in. I am sure my other child will be coming home from school with a letter informing parents a kindergarten child has a case of pink eye lol.

Quoting corrinacs:

Was she at school when she started exhibiting symptoms?  Ask the doctor when its originally contagious.  If she was in school during that period, then YES PLEASE tell them!  Nothing bad on you, but at least it lets other parents know that there's a possibility they may catch it.....and not assume its allergies until its too late.

jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Definitely good to let them know! Hope your DD feels better soon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN