Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for parents who have "redshirted" your child..

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 32 Replies

Has anyone here ever "Redshirted" your child. He currently goes to a Private school.  We just had a meeting with our K4 teacher at DS school with the principle they think we should redshirt him and keep in back till he's 6 before he starts kindergarten. Actually the way his birthday falls he will be 6 1/2. We actually recently learned that the Public school system here is gonna start a Junior K, for those between K4 and Kindergarten. Anywas I was wondering  have you done so?? How did it work out for you and your child? And how old was your child when they started Kindergarten 

teacher

Update--I want to thank you all for your replies, it makes me feel better, because he is not at maturty to attend Kindergarden now plus with his slow development of gross and fine motor skills.  And with all this wonderful advise it makes me feel better that those of you that have done so due to these same or similar problems with  your own little angels, they benefited from holding them back in prek/k4 . You ladies are awesome! Thanks for your help!

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsjksimmons
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Our son just turned 5 in Dec and we started him in PreK this year. We didn't feel that socially he was ready for K.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
honeydewmommy
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM

So will he start K5 in this fall or next?

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

Our son just turned 5 in Dec and we started him in PreK this year. We didn't feel that socially he was ready for K.

rHOPEb
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM

My daughter will be 5yr going into kindergarten but will turn 6 shortly after starting school.

My brother went to school when he was 2yr for a few days a week, but when he went to K4 my mom made him repeat it.  He was not socially ready, mature enough, nor academically ready to move up.  So he was 6yr in kindie.

I think you have to do what is best for your child!  It is best to keep thing back while young than have them struggling so much as they progress........its such a tough decision!

janitablue
by Janita on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM

My son was five when he started kindegarten. I would never redshirt my son but I don't look down at anyone who does.

thebailiffs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:41 PM

We started our son (in Kindergarten) when he was 4yrs about to turn 5 years old and everyone ( his doctor, daycare provider, other teachers) agreed this was ok.I was so sure I was not going to keep him out another year.

One thing that I wish people would have told me is that everyone is "red shirted" and therefore all of the kids are much older in Kindergarten now. If you start your child he will be one of the younger ones. This will impact his education level. So for example, my son is 6 years old and is proficient in all areas. But all of the kids in his class are turning 7 years old. My son will not be 7 until he starts 2nd grade.

While I think our son is doing well... Due to all of the kids being older, I think I would have held him back another year. I know when he is a senior in high school and he is so ready to be done he will thank us.

In California the state has mandated that all kids will be 5 years old by Sept. 1st.  This will really change the dynamic of a classroom. Kids will be older.

Hope this helps in your decision..

mrsjksimmons
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM
I don't know exactly what K5 is but he is starting Kindergarten this September. He is in preschool right now.

Quoting honeydewmommy:

So will he start K5 in this fall or next?

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Ds made the cutoff by 1 day. I decided to start him. We were year round then, and he started almost a mos before he turned 5. Cutoff is sept 1st. Dd missed the cutoff by 2 weeks, so she is one of the older ones in her class. My kids are tall, so, no need for size reasons. I've only heard of red shirting so the kids will be bigger for sports or not get picked on for small size. Just reasons people have mentioned. :) ds is in 4th grade and doing excellent in academics. I think he's a lil immature, but, maybe I'm just comparing him to his sister, as all the other kids in ds's class, the boys, are at the same, or I think less mature. So, he must be 'normal' (if there is such a thing. Lol ) . Dd is in 2nd grade, mature, but not doing the best in math (baffling to me since hubby, ds, and I are all great at math) . We're trying. :)

Fwiw, ds is still bored in class, even as the youngest. He was ready. I'd planned to have him repeat k if he did poorly, or take him out and start again next fall if need be (if I was allowed. Lol thankfully, I didn't need to) . No one I know red shirts here, so, age doesn't really mean much. :) most I know here are trying to start their kids early. I wished dd was only a year behind ds (they are 12 1/2 mos apart in age, but 2 grades, due to their bdays) , but, taking into account their learning levels, both are right where they should be. :)

Why do you want to red shirt, if you don't mind me asking? :) sports, size, maturity, etc. :) that would allow me to answer better. My ds will never be athletic, so, red shirting for that for US, wouldn't matter. He's bored now, I can't imagine if he were in 3rd grade. Hubby and were both bored in school too. Lol :)

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM

We were planning to redshirt our ds but now we're pretty sure that we'll be enrolling him into half day K with a virtual school. He has to school at home due to health reasons now so the reasons for redshirting in the first place are moot as they had to do with maturity within a class setting and he won't be in a traditional classroom for now. 

mgm_5
by Mari on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:16 AM
My son just turned 5 when he started kindergarten, i was advised by his teacher to hold him back but i chose not to, he excelled in 1st grade, his 1st grade teacher couldn't believe holding him back was recommended... Best decision i ever made, thought I'd give him a chance and if the school felt it was completely necessary to hold him back then they would have that opportunity in 1st grade...but i wasn't gonna do that to my son
XandersMomma07
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:30 AM

My son will be 19 days from his 6th birthday. His birthday stopped him from going to kindergarten this year which was good because he really wasn't ready for it because he has speech and developmental delays and learning dsabilities from being a preemie, so he was t about the sa level as the other pre k kids possibly even behind some of them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)