Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How to break my 5 year of a bad habit.

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:38 AM
  • 9 Replies

My five year old son has developed a bad habit lately and I want to break him of it.  He will refuse food at dinner time and then say he is hungry later, after everyone else is done eating.   I have tried denying him when he does that, but I end up caving in because I don't want him to go to bed Hungry.   We have been staying with a friend of mine for the past month while I find our own house.  I  was transferred for work the beginning of March and haven't found a place  our own yet.  I am thinking this food thing is a reaction to all the changes, but it is difficult to deal with one child wanting to eat later because then my friends kids want to eat again later.  I tried getting snacks and keeping them in our room, but he "shared" with everyone while I was at work and now the snacks are gone.  I can't wait til I get moved so I can get m back on a schedule!

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I'd tell him that if he's not ready to eat when everyone else is you'll make him a plate for later. When he says he's hungry later offer him the plate of food. If he says no then it's just not what he wants and he's not really THAT hungry.

My ds doesn't get really hungry til later in the evening and sometimes won't eat with us. It's not often. But then I caught on to the game he started with me about the food not tasting as good heated up. Granted, some things aren't as good the second time around but... he wanted SNACKS.  I told him if he was hungry he could have his dinner THEN have snacks. :)   He now eats with us. LOL

It might just be an issue of change but considering that he eats the snacks I think he's just got into the habit of playing you for them. Try to be strong Momma. It's soooo hard when it comes to our babies crying "I''m hungry Momma" tears and all.

Truth is, if he's THAT hungry.. he'll eat the dinner.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I agree.   Save his dinner plate for when he is hungry.  How old are the other children?  It can be very chaotic for a child with this going on and food is one thing he can control in the house.  There should be a schedule set in place for him no matter where you are living.  In a way you need to have your famial bubble so he feels secure.

Quoting LostInLove2002:

I'd tell him that if he's not ready to eat when everyone else is you'll make him a plate for later. When he says he's hungry later offer him the plate of food. If he says no then it's just not what he wants and he's not really THAT hungry.

My ds doesn't get really hungry til later in the evening and sometimes won't eat with us. It's not often. But then I caught on to the game he started with me about the food not tasting as good heated up. Granted, some things aren't as good the second time around but... he wanted SNACKS.  I told him if he was hungry he could have his dinner THEN have snacks. :)   He now eats with us. LOL

It might just be an issue of change but considering that he eats the snacks I think he's just got into the habit of playing you for them. Try to be strong Momma. It's soooo hard when it comes to our babies crying "I''m hungry Momma" tears and all.

petitekatie
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:48 AM

BUMP!

aetrom
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:02 AM
Send him to bed hungry imo. Warm him clearly that There are no snacks after dinner And stick to it. My son did this And one time was enough to make him eat dinner. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I agree. Make a plate for him. He can eat it later. Maybe it will sink in that he won't be getting treats/snacks instead of dinner food. If he refuses the plate of food, I would put him to bed hungry. He will get it eventually.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I agree.   Save his dinner plate for when he is hungry.  How old are the other children?  It can be very chaotic for a child with this going on and food is one thing he can control in the house.  There should be a schedule set in place for him no matter where you are living.  In a way you need to have your famial bubble so he feels secure.

Quoting LostInLove2002:

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:44 AM

We had issues w/ ds2 not wanting/liking what dinner was and refusing to eat. As hard as it was, I let him go to bed hungry. After 3 days in a row of that, he finally started at least nibbling at what was on his plate at dinner time.

If you really can't bear to send him to bed hungry, tell him he either eats dinner w/ you or gets cereal only later- and make it something nutritious but not fun. Special K, Corn Flakes, something like that, w/ nothing extra but some milk. That way, you feel better about him not going hungry, but he's not getting the snack food he might be wanting.

AleaKat
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Save the plate and when he gets hungry he can come back to it.

Going to bed hungry isn't gonna kill him!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Madismom29
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Yes this is from the move most likely, and he keeps doing this because he knows you will give in. Let him go to bed hungry. He will be fine. Punishments and threats will never have merit if you don't follow through and one day, soon, he will run you.

janitablue
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I would save plate of food for him until the circumstance get better.  I would also recommend that he does not have a afternoon snack this might help him stay hungry for dinner time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN