Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Spin off- Is it OK for the teacher to do this?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Max
  • 35 Replies

Most of you said in Steel's poll you are fine with teachers posting as long as they don't mention names or complain. Here's a scenario for you:

You stumble across a post on Facebook or CM from a teacher. She's posting about one of her second grade students who fell during recess. The kid screamed bloody murder started hyperventilating, screaming, crying, the works. The teacher has to call the nurse and principal to help with the kid. It turned out that she was fine but the teacher is really concerned about how dramatic it was. She thinks the mother feeds into the drama by babying the poor girl. 

Your second grade daughter walks in the door that afternoon with a band aide on her knee. She tells you how she fell out recess and got really scared and couldn't breathe. She was so upset the school nurse and principal had to come out to the playground to help her. But once she got the office she realized it was just a little scrape. 

You realize the post is about your daughter. The mom feeding into the drama is YOU. Is it still OK since no names were used?

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM
3 moms liked this
Reality check. I would look at how I treat my dd.I may go as far as casually asking. The teacher if she thought dd was over reacting a lot and better ways to deal with her, in her profesional opinion. But I wouldn't call the teacher out or anything!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Reality check. I would look at how I treat my dd.I may go as far as casually asking. The teacher if she thought dd was over reacting a lot and better ways to deal with her, in her profesional opinion. But I wouldn't call the teacher out or anything!

If the teacher wanted to discuss it with me I would listen with an open mind. She could have a point. 

But you would be OK with her discussing it with the internet rather than you? I would not. 

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:23 PM
She didn't use names, and even teachers need advise or to vent once in awhile.. is it hthe best thing, no, but it's not a huge deal to me

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting mommaFruFru:

If the teacher wanted to discuss it with me I would listen with an open mind. She could have a point. 

But you would be OK with her discussing it with the internet rather than you? I would not. 

StephanieSH
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:25 PM

As a mother and a teacher, I don't think this kind of post is appropriate.  It's one thing for a teacher to vent about a bad day but another thing to give an example of a specific circumstance about a specific student.

Bluecalm
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM
I agree. When my big kids were little they attended my school. I went into the teacher's restroom and overheard the conversation about my dd my dd's teacher was having with teachers in the other stalls. Very mortifying!

Quoting StephanieSH:

As a mother and a teacher, I don't think this kind of post is appropriate.  It's one thing for a teacher to vent about a bad day but another thing to give an example of a specific circumstance about a specific student.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Everyone should be allowed to vent when upset/stressed/etc....even teachers.  Maybe the mom in this story needs to step back and think about how she treats her daughter and if the teacher is right.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Quoting StephanieSH:

I am very surprised that any moms would be OK with it. 

It's my right as a teacher to vent. But not online. 

StephanieSH
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

When it comes to confidentiality, I always like to err on the side of caution.  I also don't think teachers should be friends in a social media setting with the parents of their students.  If a teacher needs advice on how to handle a particular situation, there are private settings where this type of question can be asked.  If it were a cafemom group for teachers to exchange information, I would be more inclined to not see a problem with it than if it were facebook. A general vent is very different from complaining about a particular student or parent who may be identifiable by the description even if names aren't named. 

Quoting mommaFruFru:

She didn't use names, and even teachers need advise or to vent once in awhile.. is it hthe best thing, no, but it's not a huge deal to me

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting mommaFruFru:

StephanieSH
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Right.  When I said venting I meant in a more general sense like "fire drill today was crazy" or "almost spring break and the kids are bouncing off the walls" not circumstance or student specific.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting StephanieSH:

I am very surprised that any moms would be OK with it. 

It's my right as a teacher to vent. But not online. 

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM
If someone can identify with such vauge-ness as what was op they are either very close with the mother/dd: or infant the mother does cause said drama in the child. In that case the mother needs to realize what she is doing and that everyone knows her child is a drams queen, but her.

But I come from a small community. I know all the teachers and aides/office staff, they are all on my fb. And more than once they have posted s boast or rant/ question and I've known the student it was about w/o name mention

Quoting StephanieSH:

When it comes to confidentiality, I always like to err on the side of caution.  I also don't think teachers should be friends in a social media setting with the parents of their students.  If a teacher needs advice on how to handle a particular situation, there are private settings where this type of question can be asked.  If it were a cafemom group for teachers to exchange information, I would be more inclined to not see a problem with it than if it were facebook. A general vent is very different from complaining about a particular student or parent who may be identifiable by the description even if names aren't named. 

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN