Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Why do we have homework on spring break?

Posted by   + Show Post

That is what my son said. His teacher told his classmates to enjoy their spring break, but she gave the students a packet of work to do for their homework during spring break.  He said how I am going to enjoy my spring break when I have homework to do.  I told don't feel bad I have homework too. I have no problem with my son 's teacher giving homework during spring break.

Do you think children should get homework during their spring break? Why or Why not ?

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I typically don't give it over spring or holiday break, but do on staff development and conference days as they are not vacation days.  However, I would not mind a small amount of work.  Nothing huge, but maintainence work would be fine by me.  DD will continue our regular practice of reading daily, doing math practice and some spelling.  We are not given stuff from class to do those things, but instead do what she needs, so we will continue that.  Even with a bit of homework, it is still a big break from school just not going each day. 

jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:58 PM
That's what my son has... a journal project. Just has to write a little bit. Nothing crazy.

Quoting ddhb2007:

I believe spring break should be family time. I would tolerate a journaling project over the break, but they shouldn't be doing busywork.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:59 PM

So they can practice and they won't forget what they are learning. If he does a little each day or just gets it done in one day, he will have more then enough time to enjoy his spring break.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:17 PM

No because it is vacation and a lot of families actually go away.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I am hoping the teacher sends more math worksheets home.  DD has struggled with the new concepts introduced so she could use the extra practice.  30 min - 1 hr a day will not hurt her during the break.  They have april 1- 5 off.   She already reads on her own so i will have her work on journal as well.

TiredMommy6906
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I wouldn't mind if my daughter's teacher sent home homework, as long as it was something she needed to work on. If she's going to send home work, I'd rather it be personalized for each student, so that the students are actually working on things they need review on. I don't want to make my daughter miss out on Spring Break fun doing work she already knows.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:20 PM

My dd will be journaling and doing math fact practice along with her daily reading over the break but that is our requirement not the school's. 

soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I gave my students homework for the weekend

family in the van   Mom of four

URHonor
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Most kids wait until the day before its due if they even bother to do it at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jamianne
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:43 PM

DS gets homework over every break.  It is what it is - he has homework every weekend as well.  It's not optional - if he doesn't complete the assignments, he'll receive a failing grade for it.  We try to get most of it out of the way early in the week so most of what he has to do each day is reading.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)