Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Why do we have homework on spring break?

Posted by   + Show Post

That is what my son said. His teacher told his classmates to enjoy their spring break, but she gave the students a packet of work to do for their homework during spring break.  He said how I am going to enjoy my spring break when I have homework to do.  I told don't feel bad I have homework too. I have no problem with my son 's teacher giving homework during spring break.

Do you think children should get homework during their spring break? Why or Why not ?

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Replies (21-30):
aetrom
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:18 AM
Whether she gives homework or not we will do an hour of practice Per day. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:03 AM
My kids spring break was two weeks ago and they had none. They are is first and kinder. Over some break in hs I had a reading lost to complete and then we had a test the second week of school about the books. It counted 20% of the first marking period grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:12 AM

It would depend on how much it is. What it is on. If it's on stuff they have already gone over during classes or if it's something new.

If it's something new, I wouldn't appreciate that at all.  If it's quite a bit, I wouldn't appreciate that at all either. 

A little homework wouldn't be a bad thing. I would have them (or try to have them) do that as soon as possible so that they could enjoy the rest of the break.

CafeMom Tickers
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM

My kids usually don't have homework over spring break. This yr, ds2 will have stuff he can work on, but it's not required.

I remember hating getting homework over breaks as a kid; luckily it didn't happen often!

story0702
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:03 AM
My daughter got 2 packets for math. She's not behind her math teacher said he was behind . Personally I think spring break should be family time. We all need a break right now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momofjkkc
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:21 AM
I dont mind it. My nephew got a packet but he finished it already. Ds didnt get any. They do have to read 30mins everyday though but thats no problem. Its good for them and they read before bed to wind down anyway.
The only time I dont like it is if we are out of town for vacation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:23 AM
DD was just told to read, DS has to finish a project and practice his violin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I don't think they should.  Schools prefer families keep vacations, etc limited to school vacations so I think the breaks should be left as family time.  I don't mind the reading requirement that we always have but that may be because we read anyway.  What kills me is when projects are given over vacations.  Do those teachers really think I'm going to drag extra stuff with me to do a project?  When we go on cruises we don't bring our laptop because the internet charge is astronomical so there'd be no way to do research.

illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I think all schools should switch to year round (lets face it, no kids are helping at the family farm in summer) and have homework always. No need to forget vital skills due to a lull in activity. 

Imagine your kid is at that critical point in learning long division... a week without practice sets the whole class back 2 weeks.

Lynn750
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Absolutely!  My kids have two weeks and one day off, and I won't let them have that much time with no reading or math work to do.  I made them do about 30 min of worksheets or online work, and 30-60 min of reading almost every day.  We did day trips every day of the week I was off work, but they did their work in the morning before we left, or made it up on the weekend.  I give them work to do, and make them read over the summer, too.  I wish more teachers would give out work to do, but I just give them lots of math facts practice if I don't have anything else.

My kids are off school today, and DD was just assigned a big report to do.  We'll be starting it today.  It's much easier to get it done on days when we don't have regular homework on top of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN