Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Why do we have homework on spring break?

Posted by   + Show Post

That is what my son said. His teacher told his classmates to enjoy their spring break, but she gave the students a packet of work to do for their homework during spring break.  He said how I am going to enjoy my spring break when I have homework to do.  I told don't feel bad I have homework too. I have no problem with my son 's teacher giving homework during spring break.

Do you think children should get homework during their spring break? Why or Why not ?

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Replies (31-37):
iansusie
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:46 PM

My kid has a project and she sent the vocabulary for the next week. 

iansusie
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I am glad school is not year round. I use their summer to visit my family in another country. Tickets are so expensive and I can only fly ONCE a year, so we stay ALL summer. My kids do learn new things, they work on another language and they still read and do a little math BUT they are allowed to have fun, play and be kids.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

I think all schools should switch to year round (lets face it, no kids are helping at the family farm in summer) and have homework always. No need to forget vital skills due to a lull in activity. 

Imagine your kid is at that critical point in learning long division... a week without practice sets the whole class back 2 weeks.

snazzylady1
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I think that they should have some work because usually when they return they forget things or they are out of the learning mode.  So I would always give homework.  However, I almost always had learning activities that were interactive with their families and some work to to independently. 

Tonya Simmons

smartandsnazzykids.com

proudmommy690
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM
My daughter came home with a packet of paper as well to do..its got a lot of pages lol. It says the kids who turn it back in with receive a prize.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RMC007
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I say it depends on the grade level. I like the idea of optional homework like my dd had (kindergarten). I still had my dd read every night of Spring Break, and she did her optional homework. I also do not see a problem with the older grades having homework over Spring Break as long as the teacher provides a syllabus, the homework is not a surprise, and the student has the option of completing the homework before break. We are going on vacation next Spring Break and I would be pretty ticked if the teacher assigned a huge project the Friday before Spring Break with the due date of the Monday after Spring Break. I wouldn't care if dd had a project due the Monday following Spring Break if we knew about it weeks in advance and could make sure it was completed prior to the break.

SaraBethKY
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I never give work on breaks, not even weekends. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Since we homeschool - I need the break as much as the kids. I don't assign any new work over spring break but they can use it to catch up on anything they might have missed.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN