Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

i missed kindergarten registation and im freaking out!!!

Posted by   + Show Post
so we are sticking with the public school, and someone brought up kindergarten and thinking that registration was later in the spring i looked it up... it was march 19 and 20 for our school!!! the last two schools in the district are next week.
i found contact info and sent a message, but i have till tuesday before school's back in session and im freaking out. how did i do this?? why isnt there some sort of information put out??? can they not let us register, they cant deny him school right??? ahhhh. i feel like the worst mom in the whole world!!!!
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Replies (31-37):
illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:06 AM

If you don't register on time, he still has the legal right to go to school. In our district, who does school of choice, those who do not register simply get tossed in whatever school has an opening. We have a 28 day window to register, including online, and the district usually has 20% of local residents who are registering their kid early in August, lol.

iuangina
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Totally not a big deal.  Schools do registration in the spring so they can make sure they have enough teachers for the number of kids coming in the fall, but it does not mean you can't register your child.  You should check if there are late dates to register or you may have to wait until the fall.  

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM

They'll either have continueal registration or open it up again right before school (probably a few weeks before) starts.  There are always people who miss is it or just moved into the area.  I wouldn't worry too much.

jaytee
by Jen on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so happy you posted this! I checked an registration for K for my kiddo is 4-17-13. Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RMC007
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Call the school. My district had two days last week dedicated for parents of new kindergartners to come in and register their kids. For now, kindergarten registration is closed, but registration for the 2013/14 school year opens back up mid-July. Don't worry, he will be allowed to go to school.

lulu_tattoos
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Our schools let you register any time that the office is staffed and open. They HAVE to let you register.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paknari
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:43 PM
No they will let your child attend. But If you were trying to put them in a school that wasn't the designated school they could say no. Unless of course kindergarten isn't mandatory in your state..where do you live?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)