Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Teachers, how do you handle a child who interrupts and corrects you

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

My 4th grade son is notorious for correcting and interrupting his teacher.  He did it to the teacher last year and is doing it again.  This teacher is not tolerating it, and she shouldn't.  I have talked to him numerous times about how rude it is.   Today she sent home a note that said that she sees it as insolent and disrespectful and she wants to talk to me.  What else can I do?

Another thing about his teacher is that she is harsh.  Which I thought would help my son, but he complains about how much she yells everyday.  How do I bring this up or can I even say anything to her without her thinking I'm trying to justify his behavior?  We only have a few months to go.

Any advice?

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mommy0505
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Disrespect shoul earn consequences to help deter the behavior.

Maybe the teacher wants to start with recess time.  Or a behavior card that correlates to specific daily consequences at home.

In 4th grade we started using early bedtime as a consequence and it really made our kids think twice.  We already had a strict 8:30 bedtime so earning 5 minutes per offense was a big deal.  Especially when they were having a bad day.  But, by golly, one day of going to bed before 8 was a big enough deal to them to get them to stop the behaviors (or at least reign it in after the 10 min mark).

Some kids are just very strong willed, and when mixed with bad habits, will continue to make poor choices unil it matters enough for them to stop.  Go into the meeting with an open mind and a plan for how you can help him learn from home.

Also, he is complaining about her yelling because she's yelling at him.  If she were yelling at other kids, who were interuppting HIS learning and concentration, then he wouldn't be complaining.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I would go in and talk with her.   Perhaps even bring the son in so he can understand that both of you are trying to get him to succeed in school  What types of things is he correcting?

Lcherniske
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:58 PM
I would write a social story about the appropriate way to address an adult when you disagree (ex. Not during instruction, in a respectful manner). This would be a common issue with children with aspergers so you may find some help on sites dealing with autism and social interaction. You could have the teacher give him a key word or signal to remind him it is not an appropriate time if he does it during a lesson. As for the yelling- not sure. Mayne go to the principal if you try to discuss it an have no succes?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I agreed but also have mediator to help resolve the issue. Good luck

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would go in and talk with her.   Perhaps even bring the son in so he can understand that both of you are trying to get him to succeed in school  What types of things is he correcting?

iuangina
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:06 AM
I've had this problem with a lot of fourth graders. I always teach my students how to correct someone respectfully because they need to know that I'm human and that i make mistakes. it gives them confidence to share why they got an answer wrong. I'm not sure what to tell you to do with the yelling. I think that your son needs to learn about how to deal with different types of people. My students have no problem correcting me (we say it must be Monday again because we are all sleepy and make tons of mistakes on Mondays). They don't however do it to their other teacher (we team teach) because she doesn't like to be corrected. It really just depends how he is doing it.....does he do it in a know it all way or is it innocent?

As far as the yelling, I would specifically ask about the discipline plan. You can tell a lot a out how a classroom is run you can figure why the teacher is yelling. Good luck!
StephanieSH
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:35 AM

It depends how it is done.  I have some students who like to get under my skin and point out every little mistake just so they can point out that I did something wrong.  However, if I really did make a mistake that I am unaware of that affects the lesson or an assignment, then I would want them to point it out to me.  For example, I scheduled a test on a minimum day because I forgot it was Open House that day and the students pointed out it was a minimum day.  I thanked them and changed the test to the following day.  However, I have some students who intentionally nit pick everything I do and they do it to be disrespectful and because it gives them some power.  I have talked with those students about the appropriate way to correct someone.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:25 AM

I wouldn't say anything about the yelling of him not liking her. 

Honestly, it sounds like she's the first teacher that's not letting him get away with things. Of course he doesn't like her. Of course he's going to tell you she yells a lot. That doesn't mean it's true. 

Ask to sit in the class and see for yourself how she interacts with the kids. Maybe if you son knows you will be doing that his behavior will change. If it doesn't at least you can see for your self what she's dealing with. 

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I have such a student. He's on a behavior chart. He earns 0s if he's having an off day and I take classroom dollars away. Those are for the class store. He knows that to earn points and dollars his behavior has to be acceptable. He has good days and some bad.

I don't let him deter me from teaching the rest of my students. He gets 2 warnings. If he is really off I call the assistant principal in and that makes him stop immediately.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)