Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Ear pain,help. PIOG *UPDATE***

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 12 Replies

DD is 6 and had a ear infection in Feb which required 2 rounds of antibiotics to clear.Then Monday she complain of ear ache,took her to the pedi and no ear infection. Yesterday she complaint of it again so I gave her Motrin and put a drop of peroxide( which she said it itch) Her pedi is close and I'm going to have to take her to the ER cause we have a busy weekend and I want to make sure its not an infection. So what could this be if is not an infection? When do they do ear tubes?

Ok so i took her in and no ear infection, I thought ears only hurt with infection I know mine did. So im going to take the advice of a mom here and give her benadryl tonight.She said it might be allergies or sinus pressure. Thanks ladies 

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluecalm
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I wouldn't take her to the ER for an earache. Maybe she has some fluid behind her eardrums. I thought tubes were mostly when kids are little and their ear canals are small. My 2 year old is getting his second set this May when he gets his tonsils out, but he has had repeated infections even on antibiotics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM
They dont put tubes in unless the kids keep having infections back to back. They said that my son might need to get tubes if he had another infection. He was having them back to back. He would finish antibiotics and his ears were clear, then next week he had it again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I want to make sure its not an infection,we are going out Sat and Sunday so I want to be sure,plus her pedi is close today.

Quoting Bluecalm:

I wouldn't take her to the ER for an earache. Maybe she has some fluid behind her eardrums. I thought tubes were mostly when kids are little and their ear canals are small. My 2 year old is getting his second set this May when he gets his tonsils out, but he has had repeated infections even on antibiotics.
kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM
That's what happened in Feb,it wouldn't clear so she needed antibiotics back to back. After that its when she started complaining of ear ache. Today she says they don't hurt but she told me it did hurt last night while sleeping.

Quoting sahmw2010:

They dont put tubes in unless the kids keep having infections back to back. They said that my son might need to get tubes if he had another infection. He was having them back to back. He would finish antibiotics and his ears were clear, then next week he had it again.
Bluecalm
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Do you have a ReadyMed or Urgent Care in your area?

Quoting kaylasmom22:

I want to make sure its not an infection,we are going out Sat and Sunday so I want to be sure,plus her pedi is close today.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Not sure what that is,but I never hear of them around here so I'm going to say no.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Do you have a ReadyMed or Urgent Care in your area?

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Quoting Bluecalm:

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes the fluid in their ear takes a long time to clear up once the infection is gone. Maybe that's what she was complaining about. Is she acting sick? Fever? I wouldn't bother the ER with an earache unless my child is crying in pain. 

jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I agree

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

Sometimes the fluid in their ear takes a long time to clear up once the infection is gone. Maybe that's what she was complaining about. Is she acting sick? Fever? I wouldn't bother the ER with an earache unless my child is crying in pain. 

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Bump for update

RedCMommy
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I agree with the idea of using benadyrl, it could indeed be allergies or sinuses, but just to throw another theroy out there it could also be molars coming in!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)