Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What do you call your child's teacher?

Posted by   + Show Post

For instance if the teacher's name is Jane Smith, do you call her Jane or Ms. Smith?

When I am speaking in a one on one situation or via email I call her Jane but if I am talking to her in front of my daughter or any other children I call her Ms. Smith. My dd tends to mimic a lot of what I do so I don't want her to stand up in class and say, "excuse me, Jane, I have a question." lol I was just wondering how other moms refer to the teacher.

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Replies (21-30):
SaraBethKY
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I work at a small, private school and everyone is pretty close. Most of my parents call me by my first name. I am younger than they are so I still refer to them by their last names usually. Five of them are co-workers so I always call them by their first names unless it is front of their classes. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I do the same as you, OP. 

One on one, away from the kids I use her first name. If the kids are around it is Mrs. W...

TroyboysMom
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:10 AM

That depends. In class when other students are around? Mr. Last Name. No students around? His first name.

endurablemist
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:44 AM
Always Miss, Ms, Mrs. Whatever. Mr. Too, but she never had a male teacher yet. I think its a sign of respect.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maries_Mom23
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:45 AM

This exactly...

Quoting iansusie:

I always call her Ms. whatever the name is... in person or via email, kids or no kids. They call me by my Ms., too. We are not friends, no reason to call her by her name or vice versa!

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:02 AM

I communicate with my children's teachers the same way they do. I either use a Ms., Mr., or Coach ( High school daughter has a Coach that teacher's Health). I do this in person and through email.

My children are not allow to address an adult by the first name, and they are expected to say yes/no ma'am or yes/no sir when appropriate. My husband and I address adults familiar and unfamiliar that way so it just comes natural for them to talk this way. Our 2yr old is evening starting to address us like that ( like if we tell him not to do something) and even though we do not expect him to ( because he is young) he just does it because that's how he hears his siblings talk to adults or us when they are told to do something, lol.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:30 AM

My son's teacher's name is John. I call him John.

My son's bus driver's name is Rebecca something. I call her Miss Rebecca.

CafeMom Tickers
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:18 AM

The teacher my daughter had at the beginning of the year, I called by her first name.  She retired and the one she has now, I call Mrs X. I call her gym and music teachers by their first names.  I refer to most of my kids teachers by Mr or Mrs unless they were ones I had worked with at the elementary school or if I run into them at workshops.  Since they're colleagues, it'd sound silly if I called them Mr or Ms XXX at the workshop.  I've always had friends on staff though that the kids knew, even if they called them by their first names outside of school, they could not do so inside school.

dballa
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I volunteer in both my girls's classrooms/  I refer to my youngest's teacher as Mrs.________ at all times.

I refer to my oldest's teacher  as Mrs. __________ in front of my child and by her first name when it is just us.  I have a more personal relationship with her and I asked if she prefered me to call her by her first name or by Mrs.___________.

CrimsonGrace
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:25 AM
When I am speaking to her in front of my child, I call her Mrs. _____. When it is a private conversation I use her first name. It is about to get tricky because her Dd is on my t ball team.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)