Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What do you call your child's teacher?

Posted by   + Show Post

For instance if the teacher's name is Jane Smith, do you call her Jane or Ms. Smith?

When I am speaking in a one on one situation or via email I call her Jane but if I am talking to her in front of my daughter or any other children I call her Ms. Smith. My dd tends to mimic a lot of what I do so I don't want her to stand up in class and say, "excuse me, Jane, I have a question." lol I was just wondering how other moms refer to the teacher.

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Replies (31-40):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Quoting SaraBethKY:

I work at a small, private school and everyone is pretty close. Most of my parents call me by my first name. I am younger than they are so I still refer to them by their last names usually. Five of them are co-workers so I always call them by their first names unless it is front of their classes. 

I think this is really important. You are younger than them, but they should view you as an authority. Do they call older teachers by their first names? 

Unless they call all the teachers by their first names I don't think your age should matter. If they do always call parents be first names I think you should do the same to them. They shouldn't be treating you differently because you're younger. You're still a professional. 

littleangie
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I am the same way. 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Always Mrs. Smith. They've told me to use their first nsames but I can 't.

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:54 AM
I think its better to be over polite and say Mrs. Smith, blah blah blah. Too often people are too informal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I call them what the kids call them.

jamianne
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I always refer to my son's teachers as Mr./Ms. Last Name.  Same with most of the school staff.  They also call me Mrs. Last Name.  His tutor was Miss First Name, but that was outside of school and she wanted him to call her by her first name. 

My daughter goes to a different school this year and her teachers are Ms. First Name.  I'm 'Rhiannon's Mom' to the kids when I'm helping parent there and the teachers call me by my first name.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM
I have always called my sons teachers Mr./Ms./Mrs. Last Name in person, phone, and email.
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I do the same.  My husband actually went to high school with the kids' teacher.  She's Megan to us and Ms. Megan to the kids.

HockeyDanceMom
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:57 PM

This 

Quoting KKmommy3:

Mrs., Ms., or Mr. whatever.  That is how I was introduced to them, and If I don't know them personally I think that is the correct way to address them.

Wife to Jason (07/10/98), Mommy to Michael James (03/21/00), Madalyn Rose (02/27/03), Emily Grace (01/07/05), Daniel Joseph (01/04/06) & Christopher Thomas (03/21/11).

MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM

it depends on my relationship with the teacher and the situation.  There are times when I use their "prof." name : Mrs. ____ and other times I may use their first name.  Sometimes it also depends on the name there are times that their last name just seems to click on to me more than their first name.  Down here we also have the habit of just using last names w/no Mr. or Mrs. just as the persons name.

I did not realize until I got called on it by a prof. in college that it may be considered rude in some areas (she was really upset I refered to her by last name only and not Dr. ___ on an assignment about self regulation)

momofemy
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Her first name.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)