Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you think United States should have school year round ?

Posted by   + Show Post

Higher Education Attainment

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s 2012 Education at a Glance report has found that while the U.S. boasts high education attainment levels overall, it lags behind other countries that are increasing attainment levels at a higher rate.

The report analyzed the education systems of the 34 OECD member countries in addition to Argentina, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Russia, Saudi Arabia and South Africa.

In the U.S., 42 percent of all 25-64 year-old have reached higher education -- making it one of the most well educated countries in the world, but behind Canada (51 percent), Israel (46 percent), Japan (45 percent) and the Russian Federation (54 percent). When it comes to the young adult population, however, the U.S. ranks 14th among 37 OECD and G20 countries in the percentage of 25-34 year-olds boasting higher education attainment, at 42 percent. This puts it above the OECD average of 38 percent, but over 20 percentage points behind the leader, Korea, at 65 percent.

According to the report, higher education attainment levels in the U.S. are growing at a below-average rate compared to other OECD and G20 countries. Between 2000 and 2010, attainment levels in the U.S. increased by an average of 1.3 percentage points annually, while its OECD counterparts boasted a 3.7 percentage-point increase per year overall.

“Based on these trends, the U.S. may find that an increasing number of countries will approach or surpass its attainment levels in the coming years,” the U.S. country report reads. “Other countries in this situation include Estonia, Finland, Israel and the Russian Federation.”

Do you think if United States focus on provide year round education can it help students to perform well  ?

Do you think United States should have year round schooling ?

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
janitablue
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I like that concept semi-year round schooling .

Quoting rockinmomto2:

I think our children need a more well rounded education and I think our teachers should have more freedom in what they teach and how they teach it. I also think that standardized testing has hurt the US much more than the government would like to believe. 

I went to a private school that did semi-year round. We began school at the end of July, had a week off for Thanksgiving, 3 1/2 weeks off for Christmas, and 2 weeks off for spring break. We were done with school the first Friday in June. That left almost two entire months off, but also allowed for more schooling. I'm all for longer school years, just not for the entire year.

Momforhealth
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM
No.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
occumommy
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:16 PM
No simply put, adding quantity, does not fix quality.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeweldragons
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Saudi Arabia doesn't have year round schooling.  My husband is a citizen of that country.

No I do not think the U.S. should have year round schooling.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:18 PM
As pp said....semi-year round. 8 weeks off is good with breaks in between.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Yes.  They also have different "breaks" in the year round schedule.  

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM
What I think schools need to do is focus on more careful development and more hands-on experience instead of quick fixes. It's unbelievable how inflated high school GPAs are nowadays. They get so many chances to bring up bad grades its crazy. Then, I get them in college and they have no study skills whatsoever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MariannLws
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Yes! I am all for year round school. Education is of the highest importance in our home. I would even agree to a 6 day school week. 

San Diego/Murrieta California has year round school. We loved it. When our young adult children where in school they would sign up for summer classes. This attitude has carried over to their college courses. Our youngest has requested math and science classes over the summer. 

TexanMomOf6
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:37 PM

First the government should get out of the schools.

Second.  schools should go year round.

Third. Each subject and class should be broke down into 6 (8?) week sections  At the end of each period f a child does not have adequate understanding of the material presented, he repeats that same class until he gets it. That way a child doesn't fail a whole year, never catch on and still get passed to the next grade.

Yes, I know it would be difficult  logistically.  How else can a child move at their own learning pace? 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
jamianne
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I wouldn't mind year-round school.  We're going to be getting ds a tutor or into an educational program this summer to keep his skills up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)