Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you think United States should have school year round ?

Posted by   + Show Post

Higher Education Attainment

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s 2012 Education at a Glance report has found that while the U.S. boasts high education attainment levels overall, it lags behind other countries that are increasing attainment levels at a higher rate.

The report analyzed the education systems of the 34 OECD member countries in addition to Argentina, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Russia, Saudi Arabia and South Africa.

In the U.S., 42 percent of all 25-64 year-old have reached higher education -- making it one of the most well educated countries in the world, but behind Canada (51 percent), Israel (46 percent), Japan (45 percent) and the Russian Federation (54 percent). When it comes to the young adult population, however, the U.S. ranks 14th among 37 OECD and G20 countries in the percentage of 25-34 year-olds boasting higher education attainment, at 42 percent. This puts it above the OECD average of 38 percent, but over 20 percentage points behind the leader, Korea, at 65 percent.

According to the report, higher education attainment levels in the U.S. are growing at a below-average rate compared to other OECD and G20 countries. Between 2000 and 2010, attainment levels in the U.S. increased by an average of 1.3 percentage points annually, while its OECD counterparts boasted a 3.7 percentage-point increase per year overall.

“Based on these trends, the U.S. may find that an increasing number of countries will approach or surpass its attainment levels in the coming years,” the U.S. country report reads. “Other countries in this situation include Estonia, Finland, Israel and the Russian Federation.”

Do you think if United States focus on provide year round education can it help students to perform well  ?

Do you think United States should have year round schooling ?

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Replies (21-30):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I want to clarify that doing a year round calendar and actually having students attend school more often are two very different things. 

Different regions in the US have experimented with year round calendars. But that was just taking the 180 day school year and distributing it more evenly over 12 months. Those kids didn't attend more school than others. They just had several short breaks as opposed to one long summer break.

I don't think our culture is open to the idea of kids spending more time in school. Extending the school year without addressing other concerns isn't going to fix the problem. The kids who can't thrive because of outside factors will continue to struggle. 

I will say I think the fact that summer programs have been cut in many places is a huge issue. For some students quality instruction during the summer can be the difference between long term success and failure. 

Paperfishies
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:50 PM
No. We travel quite a bit and my kids deserve the summer off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM

We had a school that was given a several million dollar grant over five years to implement year round. The plug was pulled because it did NOT increase student achievement and costs A LOT more.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I want to clarify that doing a year round calendar and actually having students attend school more often are two very different things. 

Different regions in the US have experimented with year round calendars. But that was just taking the 180 day school year and distributing it more evenly over 12 months. Those kids didn't attend more school than others. They just had several short breaks as opposed to one long summer break.

I don't think our culture is open to the idea of kids spending more time in school. Extending the school year without addressing other concerns isn't going to fix the problem. The kids who can't thrive because of outside factors will continue to struggle. 

I will say I think the fact that summer programs have been cut in many places is a huge issue. For some students quality instruction during the summer can be the difference between long term success and failure. 

RMC007
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Personally, I look forward to my summers off. I have exactly 48 working days left before my vacation begins!!! Whoop, Whoop!!!

I wouldn't mind year round school as long as there were still only 180 (187 for teachers) school days in a year and I was guaranteed to be on the same track as my kids. I love teaching, but it is a very stressful and demanding job. I don't think I could do it without the breaks.

iansusie
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Hell No, I think not cramming kids with info they are not ready to process, not focusing on standarized tests scores and giving better funding to education and making "higher" education more accessible would help acheive higher percentage of "higher education", not making kids go to school all year!

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM
DS just did a paper on this. He wants it and I would support it too. I think they learn more, lose less information and don't get burned out because they have more breaks. It would awhile to get used to it and adapt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:17 PM

NO!!!! I do not support it.  We travel a lot during the summer and it will not work for us.

iansusie
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:19 PM

If they are going to pay for me to travel several times a year instead of ONE long vacation, then ok but some of us cannot take several trips a year but can take ONE long one (and my kids barely have 10 weeks off in the summer, that is not even 3 months) To me that is not quite enough so any less I would probably choose to home school! During our trip my kids get to spend time with family they cannot spend time with the rest of the year. To me that is as important as "learning math and reading". We do not ignore those, they continue to read and they even practice their math. They practice another language and live in a different culture. They even went to school for a few weeks on my last trip. So they worked on math and MANY other things while travelling and enjoying family. I don't think they would get that from spending 2 weeks a year there because I sure cannot afford to pay for tickets for 3 several times a year. 

hennen
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM
No!!! They have the whole school year now to teach our children. If they can't do it in that time, then something is wrong with the ISD.. Teachers need to find new ways to teaching and here is a grand idea smaller classrooms. My kids class size for kinder and first is 25 kids per class ..... my son is falling behind because his teacher doesn't have the time to do more one on one... That's just my point of view...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Its been proven year round school is better for the kids. I don't know why we aren't already doing this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)