Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you think United States should have school year round ?

Posted by   + Show Post

Higher Education Attainment

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s 2012 Education at a Glance report has found that while the U.S. boasts high education attainment levels overall, it lags behind other countries that are increasing attainment levels at a higher rate.

The report analyzed the education systems of the 34 OECD member countries in addition to Argentina, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Russia, Saudi Arabia and South Africa.

In the U.S., 42 percent of all 25-64 year-old have reached higher education -- making it one of the most well educated countries in the world, but behind Canada (51 percent), Israel (46 percent), Japan (45 percent) and the Russian Federation (54 percent). When it comes to the young adult population, however, the U.S. ranks 14th among 37 OECD and G20 countries in the percentage of 25-34 year-olds boasting higher education attainment, at 42 percent. This puts it above the OECD average of 38 percent, but over 20 percentage points behind the leader, Korea, at 65 percent.

According to the report, higher education attainment levels in the U.S. are growing at a below-average rate compared to other OECD and G20 countries. Between 2000 and 2010, attainment levels in the U.S. increased by an average of 1.3 percentage points annually, while its OECD counterparts boasted a 3.7 percentage-point increase per year overall.

“Based on these trends, the U.S. may find that an increasing number of countries will approach or surpass its attainment levels in the coming years,” the U.S. country report reads. “Other countries in this situation include Estonia, Finland, Israel and the Russian Federation.”

Do you think if United States focus on provide year round education can it help students to perform well  ?

Do you think United States should have year round schooling ?

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Replies (31-40):
soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM

No

family in the van   Mom of four

MsLogansMommy
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I completely agree and would support year round school. I have heard that children lose so much of what they learned over the summer also if you look at the big picture it would help not just the child but everyone else and the economy teachers would be employed year round and working parents would have more options I know several people that have had to quit or lost their jobs because they didnt have any child care during the summer and if you think about the fact that we are suppose to be preparing our children to be adults most adult jobs don't have summers off just some things to think about

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Its been proven year round school is better for the kids. I don't know why we aren't already doing this.

KME3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:15 AM
I though the U.S already had year round school. I was in year round and hated it. Thank God it was only for a year before I switch schools..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Prissy_Gurl
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:15 AM
My cousins go to year around school in El Paso

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Exactly! My kids have cheer camp and things like that...They need their summers! And so do I, for that matter...

Quoting mjande4:

No, I do NOT support year round school. We travel extensively in the summer and my kids go to camps to enhance their learning in other areas. 

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 9 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 11 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 16 years old (niece) 

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:18 AM
I've never had to quit my job, but summer daycare is 3x as much as my after school care. It would be nice to spread that out more.

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

I completely agree and would support year round school. I have heard that children lose so much of what they learned over the summer also if you look at the big picture it would help not just the child but everyone else and the economy teachers would be employed year round and working parents would have more options I know several people that have had to quit or lost their jobs because they didnt have any child care during the summer and if you think about the fact that we are suppose to be preparing our children to be adults most adult jobs don't have summers off just some things to think about

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Its been proven year round school is better for the kids. I don't know why we aren't already doing this.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this

They only lose it if you let them. I work with my kids all summer long so that they retain what they've learned. It only takes an hour or two a day, if even that.

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I have a friend who puts away money during the school year--when she doesn't have to pay for daycare at all--into a savings account. That way when summer comes, and her kids are in all-day care, it's not as big a hit on her wallet.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I've never had to quit my job, but summer daycare is 3x as much as my after school care. It would be nice to spread that out more.

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Smaller class sizes would be great. The problem? Money. Think about what it would cost. Building more classrooms. Hiring more teachers. Supplies for more classes...The budget just isn't there. :(

Quoting hennen:

No!!! They have the whole school year now to teach our children. If they can't do it in that time, then something is wrong with the ISD.. Teachers need to find new ways to teaching and here is a grand idea smaller classrooms. My kids class size for kinder and first is 25 kids per class ..... my son is falling behind because his teacher doesn't have the time to do more one on one... That's just my point of view...

RADmomma
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:28 AM
We homeschool and we do some sort of learning all year round,
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN