Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you think United States should have school year round ?

Posted by   + Show Post

Higher Education Attainment

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s 2012 Education at a Glance report has found that while the U.S. boasts high education attainment levels overall, it lags behind other countries that are increasing attainment levels at a higher rate.

The report analyzed the education systems of the 34 OECD member countries in addition to Argentina, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Russia, Saudi Arabia and South Africa.

In the U.S., 42 percent of all 25-64 year-old have reached higher education -- making it one of the most well educated countries in the world, but behind Canada (51 percent), Israel (46 percent), Japan (45 percent) and the Russian Federation (54 percent). When it comes to the young adult population, however, the U.S. ranks 14th among 37 OECD and G20 countries in the percentage of 25-34 year-olds boasting higher education attainment, at 42 percent. This puts it above the OECD average of 38 percent, but over 20 percentage points behind the leader, Korea, at 65 percent.

According to the report, higher education attainment levels in the U.S. are growing at a below-average rate compared to other OECD and G20 countries. Between 2000 and 2010, attainment levels in the U.S. increased by an average of 1.3 percentage points annually, while its OECD counterparts boasted a 3.7 percentage-point increase per year overall.

“Based on these trends, the U.S. may find that an increasing number of countries will approach or surpass its attainment levels in the coming years,” the U.S. country report reads. “Other countries in this situation include Estonia, Finland, Israel and the Russian Federation.”

Do you think if United States focus on provide year round education can it help students to perform well  ?

Do you think United States should have year round schooling ?

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Replies (81-90):
littleangie
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Quoting iuangina:

I hate the idea that people feel their kids are entitled to anything. We don't want year round school because our kid deserve a break. That's a huge part of why homeschooled kids are so much further ahead than traditional school kids. As far as camps go, the camps would adjust their programs to the school calendar because they are all about making money. Any time you talk about change people get all crazy. The only reason we have summers off in thei first place is because kids used to have to work on the farms at that time of year. Very few people are still doing this, so why do we need a long break in the summer.

My thoughts exactly! 

mandalyn74
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM

We have a magnet school here that has a shorter summer break (6 weeks) and extended school days.  I like that is works better with the schedules of working parents and my son is currently on the waiting list.  But I still think they need some summer break.  It is a time for family vacations, etc.

corrinacs
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Why I'm for it: The kids don't have a huge gap of time (summer) to forget anything.  And it allows families to take vacations all throughout the year instead of just during the summer.  It also helps for those of us who work full time regardless of the time of year.

Why I'm against it: it does put a hamper on teachers.  Many of them have summer jobs they work at to supplement thier already really low salary.  I wonder how many teachers actually do this and if it woudl effect them.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Quoting corrinacs:

Why I'm for it: The kids don't have a huge gap of time (summer) to forget anything.  And it allows families to take vacations all throughout the year instead of just during the summer.  It also helps for those of us who work full time regardless of the time of year.

Why I'm against it: it does put a hamper on teachers.  Many of them have summer jobs they work at to supplement thier already really low salary.  I wonder how many teachers actually do this and if it woudl effect them.

Right now it wouldn't becuase all the summer programs here have been cut. Before I used to make a nice amount teaching summer school. I know some teachers have jobs outside of the field. That would certainly make that impossible. 

But there is a chance teachers would work more weeks and pay would increase. 

mom2bell
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM

our district recently stopped year round school.  i hated it.  traditional school year is so much better.

mrjonesii
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I love yr round so but I think it should be an option 

SeanandNoahsmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Agreed!

Quoting mjande4:

No, I do NOT support year round school. We travel extensively in the summer and my kids go to camps to enhance their learning in other areas. 

Dawn
boppysmom2007
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM
I don't support school year round nor will I if the us wants better test scores stop sending the money to other countries keep it here to get better supplies and educators smaller classroom sizes but no way in heck would I let my kids go to school year round
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM

No i like being able to come and go in the summer without worrying about school or homework.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM

No

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)