Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Would you?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:31 PM
  • 14 Replies

I decided today to have a small egg hunt in my house for ds tomorrow. I invited 3 other kids over to look for eggs too (the kids belong to ds's dad's friends). I text one of the moms letting her know about the egg hunt. She started asking how many eggs I got, am I going to say each kid can only have x amount, and can parents help. I told here I got 40 eggs and no to the other two things. She then texts me saying how her son needs help because he's not good at these things. He's 8 going on 9 and does have some sort of intellectual disability (not sure what). Am I wrong in thinking that letting her help is unfair and isn't really teaching her son anything? Of course I won't let one kid have 20 eggs and another have 2, but at the same time it's meant to be a little fun thing. Why does everything need to be fair for everyone? We're not going to be the best at everything and that's ok.

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I would tell her that this is how the egg hunt is going to work and you'll make sure everybody gets something before they go, but not everybody will get an even amount.

My son did an egg hunt last year, there were like 20 kids and probably 1500 eggs (they were everywhere, it was crazy how many eggs the lady had). She came up and told me to grab eggs for Tristan because other kids had so many more. He didn't care if he only left with 20 eggs, he was happy to have fun and look around. I just followd him around, pointd out a few but mostly he walked past them.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I could understand if there were going to be more kids or I only had 3 or 4 eggs per kid. I think most kids are happy just to get some eggs and have fun.

Wow, that's a lot of eggs. I would love to do that many one day.

Quoting Idntreallycare:

I would tell her that this is how the egg hunt is going to work and you'll make sure everybody gets something before they go, but not everybody will get an even amount.

My son did an egg hunt last year, there were like 20 kids and probably 1500 eggs (they were everywhere, it was crazy how many eggs the lady had). She came up and told me to grab eggs for Tristan because other kids had so many more. He didn't care if he only left with 20 eggs, he was happy to have fun and look around. I just followd him around, pointd out a few but mostly he walked past them.

janitablue
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I don't know ..........If the child has disability I see no reason why the parent can not help........  

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:40 PM

the mom in question had done it for 5 or so years in a row I think. It was a nice gesture, she also had some donuts and juice for everybody. The stuff in the eggs was crap (really gross candy, tiny erasers, little fuzzy animal things... not sure what they were) but it was nice of her to invite the kids from the bus stop last year. My son had fun, even if he didn't really enjoy what came in the eggs.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM

If it was a severe disability that would hinder him from being able to get to the eggs or understand the concept of an egg hunt I would feel differently.

Quoting janitablue:

I don't know ..........If the child has disability I see no reason why the parent can not help........  

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:07 PM
With 4 kids and 40 kids...I would say 10 per child, no help from parents but once you have your 10, you can help anyone else find theirs. This has always worked well for our family parties.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:16 PM
That sounds good.

We used to go to the township egg hunt, DS always wanted lots of eggs, DD was happy with 3 or 4. She didn't care.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

With 4 kids and 40 kids...I would say 10 per child, no help from parents but once you have your 10, you can help anyone else find theirs. This has always worked well for our family parties.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I missed the last part..."why does everything have to be fair?"

I'm the first to say there are winners and losers. However, I want a party to be fun for all and noncompetitive. Why make kids fight for silly eggs? There is time for that on the ball field or dojo or race track, etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
QuirkyMom26
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:38 AM
2 moms liked this

You know you COULD assign each kid a color that way they can only find THEIR colored egg. It's fair and still challenging.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that's an awesome idea. In fact, I might do that for our egg hunt tomorrow.

Quoting QuirkyMom26:

You know you COULD assign each kid a color that way they can only find THEIR colored egg. It's fair and still challenging.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 9 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 11 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 16 years old (niece) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN