Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I decided today to have a small egg hunt in my house for ds tomorrow. I invited 3 other kids over to look for eggs too (the kids belong to ds's dad's friends). I text one of the moms letting her know about the egg hunt. She started asking how many eggs I got, am I going to say each kid can only have x amount, and can parents help. I told here I got 40 eggs and no to the other two things. She then texts me saying how her son needs help because he's not good at these things. He's 8 going on 9 and does have some sort of intellectual disability (not sure what). Am I wrong in thinking that letting her help is unfair and isn't really teaching her son anything? Of course I won't let one kid have 20 eggs and another have 2, but at the same time it's meant to be a little fun thing. Why does everything need to be fair for everyone? We're not going to be the best at everything and that's ok.

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Replies (11-14):
annelauer
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Well, egg hunts just aren't fair, I guess. I would imagine she knows that by now as should her son. How did the other mom handle it? Be up front with her, but no special treatment is necessarily needed. We have a delayed daughter. She hunts eggs without our help. She doesn't get as many, but that is just how it is. It doesn't seem to phase her much. It's sweet of you to do it at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 3:17 AM
If there were 40 kids, instead of 4, I would say it doesn't matter and let the kids all hunt and get what they get. There will be a blogger spread with some getting more and some less bit with that many kids out isn't as notice a Le a difference when Suzy has 18 eggs and special needs Tommy only has 6. There will be several kids with fewer eggs not just one.

Especially since Mom was up front about this being something her DS isn't good at. Since she invited him, she needs to make it fair.

Quoting annelauer:

Well, egg hunts just aren't fair, I guess. I would imagine she knows that by now as should her son. How did the other mom handle it? Be up front with her, but no special treatment is necessarily needed. We have a delayed daughter. She hunts eggs without our help. She doesn't get as many, but that is just how it is. It doesn't seem to phase her much. It's sweet of you to do it at all.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 3:24 AM
1 mom liked this
This...I would say she could help...give him a few minutes to do it in his own and test the waters to see if he gets the hang of it. If not, then IMO it's totally acceptable for her to jump in and help her struggling son.

Quoting janitablue:

I don't know ..........If the child has disability I see no reason why the parent can not help........  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM

That's how it works in our house- each kid has their own color foil-wrapped eggs to look for. Made it a lot easier to make dd's easier to find than her brothers' when she was a toddler and know they wouldn't take them.

Quoting QuirkyMom26:

You know you COULD assign each kid a color that way they can only find THEIR colored egg. It's fair and still challenging.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)