Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kindergarten Round up?

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM
  • 17 Replies

What is that? Is that when I sign DS up for it? I have never heard of this before! It is on the 2nd and there is no school tomorrow. I just happened to see it on sign outside of the school DS will be going to. I went on the website to see what it was and when and it is from 6-7 but it doesn't say what it is! I feel like a ding bat, aren't these things you are just supposed to know when you become a parent?! lol 

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TexanMomOf6
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM
3 moms liked this

The school is trying to assess what the needs will be for next years K classes. I think you need to take DS birth certificate and shot records   You will get some forms to fill out about his needs, allergies, etc... It's fine if you don't have the info, you will have time to bring everything in. If you can't go it's ok. Just do it another date.

bsuku
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM

In my district it is like enrollment. Take his shot record, a current utility bill, birth certificate and anything else you need for enrollment. We have the students take a tour of the school while the parents fill out forms and leant about before/aftercare, lunch/breakfast and other stuff parents need to know. Sometimes summer school is offered for incoming kindergarten so they get used to the building in a smaller setting. Well worth the time! Makes the transition easier, with the exception of he will ask when he gets to go to school everyday until school starts! 

momma1708
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM

HAHA! Ever since he found out that he is going to be going to the "dolphin school" he asks when he starts. especially when ever we pass it and we live pretty much across the street from it. 

He calls it the "dolphin school" because that is the mascot. 

Good thing I have all of that. I am kind of excited yet scared all at the same time. I hope that this school offers that summer school thing as well because that would be great for him. 

Quoting bsuku:

In my district it is like enrollment. Take his shot record, a current utility bill, birth certificate and anything else you need for enrollment. We have the students take a tour of the school while the parents fill out forms and leant about before/aftercare, lunch/breakfast and other stuff parents need to know. Sometimes summer school is offered for incoming kindergarten so they get used to the building in a smaller setting. Well worth the time! Makes the transition easier, with the exception of he will ask when he gets to go to school everyday until school starts! 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I never heard of a round up either for enrollment.   DD is in 1st grade.  She was excited to become a panther last year.

momma1708
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM

At least I am not alone in not knowing about it. I am going to take him to it, I think he will enjoy it. I am just not ready for all of this. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

I never heard of a round up either for enrollment.   DD is in 1st grade.  She was excited to become a panther last year.

aj23
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Every 'roundup' event I've heard of was like a meet and greet for the kids. They get to go check out the school and meet the teachers and other kids.

Enrollment is what would require the birth certificates and stuff and unless it's a very tiny school they would schedule more than an hour for it.
Since it's in the afternoon you can always call Tuesday morning and get more information.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Round up in our district means parents learning info for kindergarten, what to expect, what they should ideally know, aftercare info, etc... As well as registration information, a quick tour, and other related info. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Never heard of it either!  You're not the only clueless one :-)

janitablue
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:30 AM

me too............

Quoting Karen_S:

Never heard of it either!  You're not the only clueless one :-)

BKozICan
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Call the school. The school secretary should be able to fill you in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)