Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How many activities... * i know this horse has been beat...*

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:25 AM
  • 46 Replies
How many activities are your kids involved in? Do you kill yourself to get each kid to every activity they want to do? Or limit them? Or encourage them to add things you know they will LOVE when you are already going crazy?

I ask because DD has a beautiful voice and loves to sing. I would love to put her in voice lessons and know she would love it. The school she goes to would pay for it so the only "cost" would be our time...

I have 3 kids (15yo, 13yo, and 10yo) who go to a homeschool charter school so never have evening homework...however, between the three..there is karate 3x a week, gymnastics 3x a week, church youth group, community theater 2x a week (though this is over in 2 weeks),and Boy Scouts...

IMO...as long as we can fit it in and it costs nothing more than gas...we SHOULD do it to allow DD as many future opportunities as possible.

DH says we are already spread too thin and something has to give....

Thoughts?

ETA: I take the kids everywhere! Maybe 2x a month I may ask DH to do a pick-up or drop-off. I keep his days off Sun-Tues empty except for gymnastics on Tues so it wouldn't affect him if I add something more during school hours.

Mon...no kid activities

Tues..gym 3:45-5:45, I go to karate while kids stay with DH for Daddy time.

Wed..DS2 confirmation, drop him off and go to my karate, DS1 has karate after me, so I sneak out and pick up DS2, go back n get DS1

Thurs: Gymnastics same as Tues. karate and Boy scouts both 7-8:30 I drop off boys 15 min early and go to karate a friend drops them at the dojo for me after. Theater was 6-8pm but ends this week as the play runs Fri-Sun

Fri: optional tumbling at gym; and Antlers youth program on 1st n 3rd Fridays.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Right now she has zero activities but thought a reading club would be a good idea that is coming up.  Once a week for an hour after school for 5 weeks .  They read a book and then make the food that is featured in the book.  It only costs 2 dollars so i think it would be a fun thing to try for dd.

I personally would allow each child one activity and youth group.   They can or may get burned out with never being home and having down time.  Scouts is only once a month , right?  So that could be the 3rd after school thing.

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:34 AM

We do cub scouts every Wednesday. Girl Scouts/brownies, every other Wednesday. I'm the Cub Scout leader with hubby for our den. I signed both kids up for local soccer. Each will play with mult. Friends from our neighborhood (we all plan and ask in advance) . It's athletic and social. :)

I have a close friend who way, way, way, over burdens her kids. They have no play dates, no friends at all in their neighborhood, no time for anything. She mentioned they never play outside their yard. 

On the other side of the coin, homeschool, and a child with a talent should be nurtured. :) not a force. :) it is their WANT. :) xoxo

Paperfishies
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:36 AM
1 activity at a time is my rule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
endurablemist
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Right now she has kids for Christ and youth group, she has play practice 2-3 times a week. The play is this week, then who knows, she wants to do more acting, but we will see.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:25 AM

My son is not in any activities this year financially we can not afford it. Wow it great that your children are involve in different activities. I am torn sorry I want your daughter to take advantage of voice lessons but I also agreed with your husband are you spread yourself thin.......... Sorry I could not help. As I a adult I know how it feels to be burn out I don't want your daughter to experience that.

BKozICan
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:54 AM

We do public school. Our Cub Scout den meets right after school every other week, so just pack mtg and family activity each once a month (pack mtgs in evening, family activity generally a Saturday or Sunday afternoon). Right now, two kids in baseball is stretched too thinly with one practicing four days a week and one practicing twice a week. We do kindergarten readiness once a month. Basketball season is one practice a week, one game a week.

Is it that dh is stretched too much? Can any of the activities happen while he is at work? (And, yes, I am assuming a traditional sahm scenario of mom home and dh working. Correct me if I'm wrong.) Does he just want a little relaxing time together as a family?

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:58 AM

We allow 1 non school activity per child, so this means my kids both have karate. I am at the dojo 5 days per week some days for 3 hours at a time between the 2 of them. The only days I'm not at the dojo are Wednesday since I'm an AWANA leader and Sunday as it is closed and we are at Church. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM
My rule was one activity at a time.

But rules are meant to be broken...

DS tried out for and made the travel baseball team. In order to be on the travel team, he has to be on an in in-house team too. DD takes dance from September - June but it's only an hour so now she plays soccer in the fall and spring and basketball in the winter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM

We have three who are all close in age.  We make sure everyone has one activity they enjoy (T-ball, art class, gymnastics, Daisy Scouts) and after that one activity, it is wherever we can fit.

jamianne
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Right now both kids are in gymnastics as their activity during the school year.  Their classes are once a week and run concurrent, so I'm only making one trip with them.  Over the summer they'll both take swimming lessons once a week as well.  We're looking at having DD take dance and DS take martial arts this year as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN