Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do You Think Kids Should Have To Do Homework?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:18 AM
  • 54 Replies

7 Reasons Kids Should Be Allowed to Skip Homework

by Mr. Nolan

homeworkEvery day after school I have to do homework, and every day it makes me mad. Homework is a big waste of time, and kids shouldn't have to do it -- especially kids who get good grades already.

Here are seven reasons I think kids should never have to do homework again.

1. Why should you do homework when you learn at school?
  2. Homework tires you out.
  3. If you were doing your homework during a storm, why do your homework if you could be killed?
  4. Grownups sometimes ground you if you mess around while doing it.
  5. TV can be a big distraction. (Especially with an annoying little sibling watching it. It’s not fair that they get to watch it and you don’t.)
  6. Doing homework is a waste of time. You could be playing video games, running around outside, or even reading a book -- but NOT one of you workbooks.
  7. Our brains can only take so much!

Do you think kids should have to do homework?

The moms at The Stir desperately needed a day off so we decided to let our kids help us write The Stir today -- find out more about them in their blogger profiles and see what they are writing about at Kids Takeover. Happy April Fools! :)

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Sure, it keeps their skills sharp and gets them prepared for college when homework becomes more intensive.

mommy053008
by Maria on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM
I am against homework and am so sad that my oldest (who starts K in the fall) will be getting homework there goes her childhood! I think homework is okay maybe once a month for a big project or a research paper that's it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtomiles
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Absolutely!
acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Homework is good preparation for college. Yes, I think kids should have homework.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM
5 moms liked this
Kids can't possibly learn everything they need to know in school. It's our job as parents to make sure our kids understand everything and help when needed.
I also think excessive homework is unnecessary. You know 3 hours a night in kindergarten excessive.
jen113000
by Jenna on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I agree. Thankfully my son doesn't get a lot per night.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Kids can't possibly learn everything they need to know in school. It's our job as parents to make sure our kids understand everything and help when needed.

I also think excessive homework is unnecessary. You know 3 hours a night in kindergarten excessive.
bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Once or twice a week is fine....More than that is too much

JanuaryBaby06
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this
i think that learning shouldnt end when u walk out of the school. parents should be invilved. here they have homework mon through thurs. he also does workbooks with me on top.
GotSomeKids
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

While I'm not a huge proponent of huge amounts of homework, I do believe they should get some (perhaps not everyday) to help reinforce the short amount of time they have to go over the topic in class and to help those who struggled with it in class.  Furthermore, it's good in preparation for a test and/or research project.

How do you get better at stuff? Practice, practice, practice. As for the article, it really is ridiculous. 1 is a question not a reason. 2...well, doesn't anything tire you out when you do too much? 3....really, we are comparing doing homework to being killed in a thunderstorm? It is also quite fallacious. It assumes you are going to be killed in the storm (which likely is a rarity). 4...Hello. If you don't want to be grounded, do your homework. Although, I've never grounded my kids for not doing their homework. 5....I don't allow one kid to watch TV in front of the other while homework is involved. I have the other go to their room or another spot in the house. Come on Mr. Nolan. Are you a parent? 6...There is time for all that. My kids are quite good at planning their time for that matter. Mr. Nolan, you also need a lesson in proper grammar. 7....how big is your brain Mr. Nolan. :)
shamroc374
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Teachers only have so many hours in the day to teach our kids all the new things they need to learn. The purpose of homework is to give kids the extra practice they need to become proficient in those skills. I do not believe in excessive homework but some homework is a mush to help our children excel. I would rather my children's teachers take every minute of the day to actively teach them new concepts. If they didn't give homework they would have to spend at least half the day making students practice skills they have already learned instead of teaching them new ones. Children in kindergarten need to learn the 100 high frequency words. These words are learned by seeing them and memorizing them. The teacher can introduce them and teach them daily but will never have the time to help the students practice them one on one like the student needs to memorize them. You can give your child a leg up if they do not already know the words and start teaching them now. They will start school ahead of other students and become a proficient reader quickly. Some schools use different versions of the list, but they are all generally the same and can be found online. The Dolch Sight Word list is the most commonly used list and can be found online. You can also find ways to practice them and fun games to play with them. My kids loved playing concentration/match with them.

Quoting mommy053008:

I am against homework and am so sad that my oldest (who starts K in the fall) will be getting homework there goes her childhood! I think homework is okay maybe once a month for a big project or a research paper that's it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)