Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Summer "home"work?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:55 PM
  • 31 Replies
I have 2 kindergarteners who will be going into first grade next year. My SS is at the point of passing but barley, I was on the color book isle at the store and saw these books for kindergarten/1st grade work, I was thinking of picking up a kindergarten and first grade one for him and first grade one for my DD. Do you think it's too much to have them do school work through the summer? I wouldn't do it everyday maybe 1-2x a week.
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xanayda
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM
3 moms liked this

No, i do it. Keeps their mind going in the summer months. :)

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Nope.  We did it with dd to keep her memory fresh.  We also had a "never bored" book we took on car rides she could work on.

LucyHarper
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I teach my kids over the summer, learning isn't such an awful thing. It sounds like he needs the extra practice. As long as they aren't inside all day long doing workbooks, whats the problem. Our school gives summer homework.

Mommynwife26
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM

That's what I was thinking, especially my SS he is on the line of passing/being held behind. And I wouldn't worry about my DD but I know if my SS is doing work she would want to too cause she loves doing schoolwork.

Quoting xanayda:

No, i do it. Keeps their mind going in the summer months. :)

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Not at all! We have themed units every day and mine are 10, 12, and 13. Mondays we do math, Tuesdays reading (book report)/library visit, Wednesdays they write letters to family members across the country, Thursdays are computers/keyboarding, and Fridays we go to the movies. My kids swim every day and go to camps, as well as playing sports, but this way their minds are still challenged even if its just for a couple of hours.
Mommynwife26
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Quoting LucyHarper:

I teach my kids over the summer, learning isn't such an awful thing. It sounds like he needs the extra practice. As long as they aren't inside all day long doing workbooks, whats the problem. Our school gives summer homework.

He does but I don't wanna be "mean mommy" for making them do school work over the summer. I didn't know how many people actually do.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Besides doing workbooks like the ones you mentioned, remember to have your children read daily over the summer.  Also playing learning games and having your children help with cooking, shopping, etc. also helps them retain what they have learned.  Math, letters, numbers, colors can all be worked into your every day lives and the more that they practice, the more that they will retain.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I think working on academics over the summer is great. But the workbooks probably aren't the best quality. Ask the teacher for ideas of where to get some activities or other materials. 

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM

No, it only helps and if you make it fun, they won't know

family in the van   Mom of four

SahmTam
by Tammy on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM

No, I don't think it is too much. It's good for them to keep up the skills they are learning through the school year. You can also do fun activities to keep them counting and reading like adding/subtracting with tossing rings in a pool or writing words/sentences on their level that tell about what fun summer activity you have planned for them each day- they get to know what the plans for the day are when they read about it :-)-- things like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN