Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Question - Any one encountered this?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM
  • 15 Replies

So here is the run down..

Last wed. I took my girls to the dr. because my oldest was saying her ear was hurting her and my youngest had some random ear drainage. Had her check out her ears.. My youngest had some discharge but no ear infection.. Just gave me eardrops to clean them out.. My oldest had ear wax in her ears in which the dr. cleaned out and instructed to use Debrox to get the rest out..But no ear infection, just said it could be the cause of her ear hurting.. The next day she couldn't concentrate at school due to her ear hurting and I called the and asked what else I could do help relieve some pain. They prescribe the same ear drops that was given to my youngest... 

Since thursday she has been doing nothing but sleeping, wanting to sleep and just plain out crabby and whiney..This morning I sent her too school hoping she'd enjoy her time but instead got a note from the kindergarten teacher saying she was unhappy all day and fell asleep 3 times... 

Tomorrow I plan on taking her to the dr but am curious if anyone else is or has gone through this with there child.. 

Thanks for reading. :)

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM

No but i would have asked to see another doctor in case the first one missed something.  *knock on wood* dd has not had issues with her ears and she is 7 now.

MissyMegs
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

No but i would have asked to see another doctor in case the first one missed something.  *knock on wood* dd has not had issues with her ears and she is 7 now.

This doctor is really good and I dont question her... Something tells me my oldest may have fluid in her inner ear which could cause her to become dizzy and light-headed and wanting to lay down cause it does mess your equilibrium. 

When she does get up and play, she plays for a few hrs then goes back to lay down...

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Maybe she's getting the flu.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Even if it is fluid in the ear, as long as it isn't infected she doesn't need antibiotics.  The ear numbing drops and OTC pain meds should help.  You can also try blowing a hairdryer on low heat into her ear to see if that helps with the pain.

MissyMegs
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Even if it is fluid in the ear, as long as it isn't infected she doesn't need antibiotics.  The ear numbing drops and OTC pain meds should help.  You can also try blowing a hairdryer on low heat into her ear to see if that helps with the pain.

Hm - Interesting.. My husband is a nurse and him and i have been trying to make of this... and said maybe i should take her back to the dr. to make sure it hasn't gone into a ear infection. But I doubt it is due to the drops we are putting in her ears.. soo not sure.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM
It could have progressed? I would Take her back...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Odd. My son had a lot of ear infections as a toddler, and he never got sleepy from them.

I would take her back to the doctor.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Better to be safe than sorry, take her back and let them know what's happening.

MissyMegs
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM

So I took her back - She is perfectly fine... The dr. order blood work to make sure she does not have mono has a few cases have come up.. 

Now just waiting on the blood work.

corrinacs
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Take her back.  It could be that its infected now.  I was having a conversation with my children's doctor about it and they said a fluid clogged ear can get infected like "that".  It could look normal this morning and be infected in teh afternoon.  So, yes, please take her.  Sounds like an infection of some sort.

If its not infected but still filled with fluid, I'm banking that its related to allergies, which can cause the fogginess and sleepiness actually.  Try some allergy meds with her to see if it helps :)

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)