Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Childs application was denied for returning as a tuition paid student - UPDATE IN GREEN

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 43 Replies

This post is more like a venting post.  I'm so upset.  I cried most of last night.  We're our child to a community school in the county next to us.  We do not have a good school systems in our county.  So, before he started kindergarten, we applied for him to be a tuition paid student.  For those of you who don't know, tuition paid students are students that live in one county, and go to school in another county (that's how it was explained to me).  If all funding is approved, there is no fee that's paid by tuition students.  We were lucky enough that the community school we were sending him to had all funding approved, and we didn't have to pay. (We would have paid regardless)  We received an application last month to re-register him with that same shool system.  We received a letter yesterday and they declined the application.  And it's because of his attendence.  I starting bawling.  My son has never been around a large group of kids until he started going to school.  We never had any health issues with him either.  I'm sure his immune system just isn't as strong as kis who've been around other groups of kids.  Since he started kindergarten, he's suffered two ear infections (one I had to take him to the ER), allergies were so out of control that he was treated for a week as an asthmatic patient....twice!  As of now, he's missed 15 days of school!  There were only 2-3 of those days that I would say were unexcused (his dad had double knee surgery and I had to keep him out because with timing of everything, I wouldn't have been able to pick him up from after school care on time).  Twice the school called me to pick him up because he got sick.  We all know this has been a bad year for everyone getting sick, and more viruses out there.  They're on spring break now.  I have a message into the assistant superintendent to call me when they return. Has anyone else ever had this issue.  I'm so tired.  I couldn't sleep last night.  Thanks for listening, and any input is appreciated. 

Update:  I finally got ahold of the assistant superintendent.  She was very nice over the phone.  She's going to talk to the principal and the teacher.  I'm hanging onto that hope that he'll be able to return there next year.  Just had to let some of you know.  Thanks for replying to my original post.

Lastest update:  Superintendent just called.  Ladies, I'm so happy right now!  I've been a nervous wreck ever since I posted the original post.  The superintendent met with the principal and they're willing to accept my son back into the school.  On one condition.....we have to sign a harse contract.  I told her I'm willing to do what it takes.  The contract states he can not be tardy no more than 4 times, and absent no more than 12 days in each semester.  (They're taking his medicial issues with allergies and asthma into consideration).  I'm so grateful.  I meet with the superintendent and principal Wednesday at 9am to go over everything.  Thanks for all the input and support from you moms. 

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvcats406
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM

If it is like my school district, they do this.  We have about 5 elementary schools in the district.  You are supposed to go to the one closest to you.  If you would like to go to another one, the superintendent has to approve.  They have denied people because of no openings, what they call too many absences, and even lateness.  Now we have a new superintendent and he won't let anyone go to another school .  Maybe he would if they paid though, but I am not sure.   They can be strict!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM

We don't have county schools here, but you can apply to go to a neighboring school district if you are willing to pay tuition.  Are they saying that your son can't attend at all or are they saying that he isn't going to be able to attend for free?  If he can attend, why not pay the tuition?

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM

my dd missed a lot oc school this year and she was raised around a lot of different kids and she has an amazing immuse system, but this year man the poor thing just can't catch a break.  hopefully you will get it worked out.  I had my dd's school try and deny her reenrollment next year and we are zoned to that school because her teacher forgot to send home the reenrollment form.  grrrrr

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this
It probably has to do with the fact that they're not getting full funding because of all his absences.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
teatyme007
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM

It's not a questons of paying.  We were planning on paying when he started.  We'd pay now regardless.  But they said too many absenses.  Most under a doctor's care.   

Quoting steelcrazy:

We don't have county schools here, but you can apply to go to a neighboring school district if you are willing to pay tuition.  Are they saying that your son can't attend at all or are they saying that he isn't going to be able to attend for free?  If he can attend, why not pay the tuition?

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I'm sorry.

Does the letter say that you can appeal the decision somehow?

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you rent or own your home?  If you are a renter, then I would be looking into moving into an area with a more desirable school.  When we bought our house, a good school was one of the things at the top of the list.  I often wonder why others don't consider that when house hunting.

Quoting teatyme007:

It's not a questons of paying.  We were planning on paying when he started.  We'd pay now regardless.  But they said too many absenses.  Most under a doctor's care.   

Quoting steelcrazy:

teatyme007
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

OMG!  I didn't think of that!  I wish they would have brought it to my attention earlier.  But what would I have been able to do?  He really was having issues with his allergies and ears. 

Quoting cjsmom1:

It probably has to do with the fact that they're not getting full funding because of all his absences.

teatyme007
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM

We own.  I was having issue earlier on, and didn't think I'd be able to have kids.  If I would have considered schooling when we bought the house, it would have been fine.  That was 15 years ago.  The school were alot better then. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

Do you rent or own your home?  If you are a renter, then I would be looking into moving into an area with a more desirable school.  When we bought our house, a good school was one of the things at the top of the list.  I often wonder why others don't consider that when house hunting.

Quoting teatyme007:

Quoting steelcrazy:

teatyme007
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Than you.  I'm going to.   

Quoting Barabell:

I'm sorry.

Does the letter say that you can appeal the decision somehow?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)