Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Who do you invite?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 50 Replies

My daughter is turing 6 in June. She's in Kindegarten now and can finally have a party where school friends come not just family and neighborhood friends. My  question to you all is this:

Do you invite the whole class or let her hand out invitations to who she wants?

I was originally planning to have a petting zoo come to the house but I recently lost my job so it's back to having a traditional party (cheap) party. I will be barbecuing for everyone (hot dogs and burgers) And it will be in the backyard, with water games and a home made slip and slide. Is possibly 20 kids too many to have over? I have 2 other adults helping me with the party and supervision. What are your thoughts ladies? Am I crazy?

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
honeydewmommy
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM

In DS school if you invite one you have to invite the whole class , which makes sense to me so noone gets left out, so I don't disagree with that rule. And yes his last Bday had over 20 kids, u make it work, we had his bday this past year at peter pipers, wasn't cheap but we had fun, the year before that at Brinca (inside bouncy house), and before that we had it chucky cheese. Usually in instances at least one parent attends with the child and I always have them RSVP so I know how many are going to attend. 

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Our school has a rule- if invitations are handed out at school, the entire class must be invited.  If you do not want to invite the entire class, you may want to check on these rules for your classroom.

Where do you draw the line between inclusion and hurt feelings?  At 6, a kid will not understand not getting an invitation if many of the other kids get one... I say, invite the whole class, or mail (or hand deliver to homes) the invitations...

Also, you can invite the whole class, but the whole class will probably not come... so you may invite 20 kids and have only 10 or 15 RSVP and show up...

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

First you need to check the school's policy on handing out invitations.  Some schools require you to invite everyone (or at least all of the girls) if you hand out the invitations at school.  Also remember that if you invite everyone, only about 1/3 of them will actually attend.

ASLmommy89
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Thats what I was thinking, usually not everyone you invite to a party comes, so I would feel bad if baby girl only invited 5 people and 2 showed up 

Quoting STVUstudent:

Also, you can invite the whole class, but the whole class will probably not come... so you may invite 20 kids and have only 10 or 15 RSVP and show up...

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM

My son handed out invites to his friends and not the whole class. It's not against school policy at his school.

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM

This is why I love at home parties and hate hate hate event parties... I have twins, and they are in separate classes... at 16-18 kids per class, wow... no way can we do the bounce house or chuckee cheese... this year, I am getting one of those inflatables they bring to your house.  That and hotdogs- instant party...

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I've never done a whole class party, but it would be possible with enough adult help.  However, it will be insane and you will need to be sure to plan activites and transitions well.

Be aware that if you opt to not have a full-class party, most schools will not allow your child to pass out invitations to the select few in school.  You will have to find another way to get those invites into their hands.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM
In our school if you hand them out it is all girls or all boys or whole class...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I never invited the whole class. My son invited who he wanted and that was it.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I am so glad we didn't have anything like that in my sons school. I wouldn't want to invite anyone he wasn't friends with.

Quoting aetrom:

In our school if you hand them out it is all girls or all boys or whole class...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN