Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Advice about transportation

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 41 Replies

Hi everyone!  

My child is supposed to enter Pre-K next year.  Our house is less than a mile from the school, so we can't get a bus to take her.  Unfortunately, school doesn't start until 8:00AM and my husband and I both work early.  How do we get her to school?  Her current daycare center won't transport her there because it's out of their county.  (we're just over the line), she can't go to the school that they transport to, again, because it is out of the county  we live in.  We don't know anyone from the school (nor do we trust anyone yet).  I'm at a loss.  I've looked into local child care centers and they don't provide transportation before school.    Any advice?

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
honeydewmommy
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Do they have an early drop off?? Ours does our DS school a 6am drop off for the kids and a after school care program as well. Also I would see if you could find someone to drop them off otherwise, is it possible take ur child to work with you. Or find a work around with your jobs??

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Is it possible to change your hours at work?  Maybe you can go in later and stay later or take a shorter lunch.

I honestly can't say that the school providing bussing to the school from your house would help you any since you'd have to stay home with your child until they get on the bus.

Rbrown72707
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I teach elementary school, and my principal would let me bring her to school with me, but we don't have  a pre-k program.  So, that's a no go.  We live in MD and my husband works in VA.  I can't think of any logical way to get her into school without cheating the system!  I really don't want to have to do that.  I want to be honest and send her to her neighborhood school.

Rbrown72707
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I teach elementary school, so, changing the hours is not an option.  My husband might have more flexibility.  But, it would mean a major pay cut for us. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

Is it possible to change your hours at work?  Maybe you can go in later and stay later or take a shorter lunch.

I honestly can't say that the school providing bussing to the school from your house would help you any since you'd have to stay home with your child until they get on the bus.

Rbrown72707
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I asked.  They don't have an early drop off.  I can't change my hours.  My husband might be able to.

Quoting honeydewmommy:

Do they have an early drop off?? Ours does our DS school a 6am drop off for the kids and a after school care program as well. Also I would see if you could find someone to drop them off otherwise, is it possible take ur child to work with you. Or find a work around with your jobs??

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM

We had to find a before and after school care provider that the school would bus to. Our district will bus to any licensed daycare facilities within its bus route.

Rbrown72707
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM

That's a good idea.  I've been looking for one, but I'm not finding any in the area.  It's frustrating.  They make it so difficult.  I'm sure I can't be the only parent that has this issue in my area.

Quoting Barabell:

We had to find a before and after school care provider that the school would bus to. Our district will bus to any licensed daycare facilities within its bus route.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Is it possible for your child to attend school where you teach?  Here teachers children can attend our school at a discounted tuition if there is space for them.

Rbrown72707
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM

We live out of county.  The tuition would be almost $8,000 a year unless I lied about our address (which several teachers I know do.)  I don't really wan to do that, but I cannot afford the tuition.  Plus, our school doesn't have pre-k.  Maybe we'll try to move before Kindergarten and just keep her in daycare another year.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Is it possible for your child to attend school where you teach?  Here teachers children can attend our school at a discounted tuition if there is space for them.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I live in a major metro area, and so finding access to daycare isn't that difficult. It's just the matter of finding one. The daycares are licensed by the state, and the state has a website where you can search for licensed providers. It even lets you search by your child(ren)'s age(s).

Some schools in our district also provide before and after school care. Have you contacted the school's administration to find out if they offer care or if they are aware of any daycares that they bus to?

Quoting Rbrown72707:

That's a good idea.  I've been looking for one, but I'm not finding any in the area.  It's frustrating.  They make it so difficult.  I'm sure I can't be the only parent that has this issue in my area.

Quoting Barabell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)