Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is 8 too young for this kind of pet?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM
  • 42 Replies

Poll

Question: Is 8 too young for a guinea pig?

Options:

Yes

No

I am picking these cause I dont like rodents in my house

Get a unicorn instead

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

I had a Guinea pig growing up, and loved him...except when he would kick his shavings at me for playing the wrong kind of music....anyways...I was thinking of getting my DS one for his brithday this month...he is gente with animals and yes I know I will be doing most of the cleaning of the cage...but does anyone else have these for their kids??

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM
My 5 year old has one. He even cleans his own cage. He does great with him!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM

No, I don't he's too young.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think he's too young.  Help him learn how to be responsible for his pet, so it gets to the point where you're not the one cleaning the cage all the time. Could be fun

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I don't think that is too young for him to have it OR for him to clean the cage!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I don't think that he is too young at all.  My brother was around that age when he got his hamster.  I think that little pets like that make great pets for kids and mine would most likely have a hamster or guinea pig if it wasn't for our dog.  lol

Hafsa1
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I had hamsters growing up, but I got a guinea pig for ds for his kindergarten graduation present. He loved it! I did all the cleaning though. The guinea pig was very calm and would just sit on your chest. Every now and then he would leave the cage open and the guinea pig would run into my room. We eventually realized that ds was allergic to her, and had to give her back to the store.
Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Thanks :) I am a bit excited for it...now gotta think should I let him pick it out??

AleaKat
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM
I had a hamster at a younger age than that. I think it's fine.
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM
No.
unspecified42
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Yes!! Definitely. I've always loved animals and it was always my dream when i was little that my mom would take me to a pet store and let me pick a pet out!

My 8 year old has two rats, one we got him and one he got to pick out. He was so excited to go see all if the ratties and choose one to bring home!

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Thanks :) I am a bit excited for it...now gotta think should I let him pick it out??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)