Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Picky 5 year old

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have a 5 year old who is a VERY picky eater, she has been this way since she was about 2. I let her get away with it for so long and now it makes it hard to make dinner or go to other people's houses for dinner. Her main "diet" consists of chicken nuggets, chicken breast, peanut butter and jelly, almost any fruit, carrots, pizza, spaghetti with no meat, eggs, sometimes bacon, pancakes, french toast, top ramen ( I dont let her have it often, but she eats it with her dad), peach oatmeal, bagels and cream cheese. She will NOT eat lasagna, any veggies besides carrots, any meat besides chicken, basically any pasta besides spaghetti or boxed mac n cheese. She is getting to the point where I can get her to try a SMALL bite of other food, but she instantly says she doesn't like it. At first I thought she truly didnt like certain things, but now I am seeing that she doesn't like much that isn't her "usual" and I feel she is just saying this. I am really at my wits end and would like some advice on what you ladies do if you have a picky eater, but I just want to be cautious not to cause food issues. One thing I dont want to do is force her to sit at the table until she eats what I made. I want to come up with a plan and be consistent.

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Start the 3 bite rule and then she gets a PB and J sandwich if she does not like what is being served.   My dd is way beyond picky if i went by your list.   I am not a fan of forcing children to eat since i have seen the result in adults and how it really has messed up their relationship with food.   

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I also do the three bite rule at my house and it works very well.  My oldest was horribly picky when younger, only ate Cheerios and drank milk and nothing else.  Now he will eat pretty much anything that doesn't eat him first.  It was a long process that took many years and he had to try things quite a few times before he decided that he liked them.  I also found trying foods off of others plates at restaurants helped him to try and like new things.

907PickleMom
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Small portions at first too, with new foods. Don't overwhelm her with a huge portion.. 2-3 tbs at a time. Good luck! Also try not to make a big fuss about the new food. Just present it as the status quo.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smurfy88
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM

The three bite rule, is that just they have to try 3 bites and if they dont like it they can eat something else?

Quoting steelcrazy:

I also do the three bite rule at my house and it works very well.  My oldest was horribly picky when younger, only ate Cheerios and drank milk and nothing else.  Now he will eat pretty much anything that doesn't eat him first.  It was a long process that took many years and he had to try things quite a few times before he decided that he liked them.  I also found trying foods off of others plates at restaurants helped him to try and like new things.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Yes, that would be it.  Honestly, you will have to have her try three bites of an item a dozen or so times before she may actually like it.  The first time she will automatically hate whatever it is without trying it.  That is just the nature of the beast.  Good luck and try to be patient with her.

Quoting smurfy88:

The three bite rule, is that just they have to try 3 bites and if they dont like it they can eat something else?

Quoting steelcrazy:

corrinacs
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Some kids arel ike that, but it looks like her diet is pretty varied, so as far as her hersel,f I wouldn't worry one bit :).  You can sneak in more veggies other ways (Fruitables is a great juice for this :):).

But as far as getting her to eat more food, take it slowly.  I've heard of "Try it Tuesdays" where you ALL try something new on Tuesdays.  You can try something not so new to you and say its new :P.  Tht way she sees you trying new things too!

Another thing is offer her something she doesn't care for everynight.  Just a small couple of bites.  But keep doing that every night. the same food, for about 2 weeks.  Let her play with it even, outside of the dinner setting.  If you want her to tryt peas, see if she will take uncooked peas and make a picture out of it.  Let her make a split pea painting (sounds gross, and you don't have to keep the artwork LOL).  Then have her help you prepare the food as food!  

I think between all of that, you should be good to go :) :)

MommyChance
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM
I've got a picky eater too!! Luckily, he's always loved veggies (all kinds, the kid will eat a huge bowl of steamed broccoli and ask for more!), fruits and eggs and pasta. He gets a balanced diet, but doesn't like to go outside the box. School has helped, he sees other kids eating lunch then wants to try something new. We've started using dessert as a bribe, probably not the best idea, but it seems to work for him. If he eats what I've made him, plus tries something new, which is usually what I'm eating, he can have dessert. He discovered he loves quinoa the other day! Last week it was teriyaki chicken stirfry.
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I have a picky eater too. He got better when he started eating the school lunch. He actually learned to like a few veggies and other foods. He had free lunch at the time so I only let him pack on the days when he absolutely hated what they had. He's still somewhat picky. He doesn't like most meats, likes only select veggies and legumes, and still turns his nose up at more adult food but he's getting better.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Ds2 is my picky eater- doesn't care for meat, and went through a stage of refusing to eat even things he likes if he wasn't in the mood for it. He's gotten better about it, even actually likes ham and steak now. 

To start, I always fix at least one thing I know he likes; most times, he'd at least eat that. 

Another thing we did/do is let him (and his brother and sister) dip something they don't care for, or think they won't like, in whatever they want. For ds2, most meat gets dipped in bbq sauce; dd's preferred "dip" is sour cream; both ds1 and ds2 put Worchestershire Sauce on green beans and broccoli. As long as they eat it, I don't care!

They also have to try at least 1-2 bites of whatever is new/not liked. 

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Considering some of the others I've read, yours doesn't sound too bad. :) I used to have to sit at the table, sometimes until bedtime to eat dinner. I'd never do that. Thankfully, mine love everything.

they love when I make things 'fun', like 'rainbow' peppers (red, orange, yellow and green strips) with or without ranch. Too bad carrots are what WILL eat. I usually suggest those with a lil brown sugar and cinnamon. My kids gobble those up.

puree veggies and add to spaghetti sauce. Like tomatoes, celery, carrots, mild peppers. 

When you so serve ramen (or hubby does) , just put maybe 1/4 of the seasoning packet or less. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)