Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

learning to ride a bike *update*

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM
  • 23 Replies

We just got my son his first bike last summer.  (He will be 7 in May).  We just moved to a place where he could actually ride it.  Before that we lived in a 3rd floor apartment with no bike friendly area nearby. 

He has training wheels, but still freaks out when his bike tips just a tiny bit, and thinks he is going to tip over. 

I am thinking of having him use a balance bike for a while... I got a used 12" bike cheap and plan on taking the pedals off so he can use it as a balance bike.

What do you think of balance bike vs. training wheels? 

How did your child learn to ride a bike?

*update*  He can ride without training wheels now!  Update in red on page 3

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM
You could, we did that for My youngest who is 4. With My oldest when he was ready he was ready And although he was nervous he caught on quick. If you have a slight slant then they get a bit more speed And that makes it easier to balance...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annelauer
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:26 AM
I've read good things about those balance bikes, but I don't have experience with them. Our oldest just rode her bike as soon as she decided to without any difficulty. She had one with training wheels when she was two. We got her a bigger one at four and she didn't want the training wheels so she just rode it. Is he apprehensive about taking the training wheels off? If not, you might just want to let him try it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jen_keiko
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:37 AM

let him try the balance bike and decide which he is more comfortable with. DD had problems even with the training wheels (she'd over compensate when it would start to tilt) so we ended up just taking them off and letting her practice w/o them on the grass. within 10 practice days she was all good :) Good Luck!!

Tryshx
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:23 AM

We actually used a two wheel scooter... once he was able to balance on the scooter we knew he was ready for the training wheels to come off... So, we bought him a new bike for christmas and just didn't attach the training wheels so there was no choice, if he wanted to ride the bike he had to do it with out the extra wheels... it took him 2 days to actually learn the first day was straight lines and the second day he taught himself to turn... He's 5 btw.

jen113000
by Jenna on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM

My son's both used training wheels. I hadn't heard of the balance bikes until recently. My oldest son ( 7 now ) learned right around turning 6 last year how to ride without the training wheels. We took him to a big open field on grass for the first few times... That way if he fell there wouldn't be blood. But also got his confidence up. We also ran next to him to help. He was soo scared of falling. Eventually he just took off. Now he's awesome at it! We just bought him a 16" bike for his birthday last week!

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM

We are working on this too. My 9 year old is just scared to look away from the wheels and as soon as you let go, she falls. She is scared of getting hurt. Her Daddy has a scare on his face from falling off his bike. He try's to explain to her it was his fault and she will be ok. But she worries to much.

My 6 year old almost had it yast year but then it got cold and started to snow out. So she might not take as long this year.

Lorena
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM
All 4 of my bio kids learned at about age 4. My 3 boys never used traning wheels. We had a really tiny bike and they just jumped on and took off. My Dd took a bit longer and had training wheels. last summet was the first summer with my skids. We taught both sd8 and ss7 both to ride without training wheels. We are hoping to take sd 4's trainng wheels off this summer. She will be 5. But she was having a hard time figuring out how to peddle. So we got her a smart cycle and im sure she has it. But we have to take her to grandmas or the park for her to ride. We have a dirt drive way and our road sucks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM

We love balance bikes!  I have a son with anxiety who wanted nothing to do with bikes until he saw all of his friends riding balance bikes.  Within a month he was riding without training wheels  He had just turned 4.

My daughter has been riding a balance bike since she was 1.  Not very often sadly because we have to load up the bikes and go to the church parking lot to ride.  But she will be 3 on the 19th and she has the balance down.  Now she just has to master pedaling and we will be able to take off the training wheels :)

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM

my kids were all around 2 when they learned how to ride a 2 wheeler w/o training wheels.  Dh put the training wheels on, but tilted them up so they'd had to lean to either side pretty far for them to touch the ground.  This may not work for an older child though.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM

My boys each got their first 2-wheel bike with training wheels at the age of 2.  We had the training wheels up a little bit so that they weren't supporting the bike all of the time, this helps them learn balance without the fear of falling.  By 4 both boys were riding without training wheels.  Last summer, my youngest was 8, we were able to go on bike rides that went on for many miles.  It was really nice to be able to spend the day riding bikes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)