Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just a question

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:46 AM
  • 39 Replies
At what age do you think a child should start washing their own hair and body? My girls are 6 and 7 and my oldest girl kinda told me mom I can do it myself so I'm letting her and my 6 yo kinda followed suit wanting to be like her big sister. They have been doing well getting all the soap out. Guess I gotta suck it up and let them grow up. It's a little bitter sweet they don't need me for that anymore. But was just curious as to when you let your child start or when you think they should.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
janitablue
by Janita on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this

To be honest I don't remember what age I allow my son to take a bath on his own. That age is appropriate to allow your child to take a bath alone. The hardest part for being a mom is allow my son to be independence and watching him grow up but in the end it is rewarding.

3rdtimearoun888
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes giving them their independence is difficult because they will always be my babies. At least they still need me to fix their hair. Lol. Wonder when that will come to an end. Ill just enjoy it while it lasts. Thank you for your input though.

Quoting janitablue:

To be honest I don't remember what age I allow my son to take a bath on his own. That age is appropriate to allow your child to take a bath alone. The hardest part for being a mom is allow my son to be independence and watching him grow up but in the end it is rewarding.

Tryshx
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM

DSS is 5 and we have him wash his hair and body himself with supervision and verbal instruction... We're trying to teach body awareness and are encouraging him to bathe and dress in private.

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I think it depends on the childs ability to do it properly and the type of hair they have. My DD's hairs is super long, super thick and SUPER curly, she can not rinse it out throughly and get all the tangles out yet on her own. I still have to help her manage cleaning her hair properly. The rest she does by herself. I've tried to convince her to cut her hair to a more managable length for the last 2 years but she loves it long. The tangles bother her the most because it really does hurt to get them out, so I once again explained that if her hair was a bit shorter it would easier...she finally agreed to let me cut it at the end of the school year.

jen113000
by Jenna on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:46 AM

If they want to do it themselves at those ages, I would let them. As long as they do everything properly..

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM

My girls were young when they started to and it was till they were 5 years old I would make sure it all in there hair and washed out. When they are 6 years old. They didn't want me to help anymore.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM
I started teaching them at 2, by 3 they washed and I checked. By 4 they are on their own.... I wish my now 7yo would take an Intresst.n showers over baths though!

They are boys though
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM
DD is 8 but I still wash her hair. It's getting long and it knots easily so I wash it, put in conditioner, comb it through and rinse. She washes herself. DS has been bathing ang shampooing on his own for years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM

My boys started washing themselves with supervision as toddlers.  By the age of 4, they were showering completely on their own.  Both have very thick hair and had no trouble getting the shampoo out on their own.  I have thick curly hair that has always been long, I started washing it on my own at 5 or 6 years old.  You just need to teach them how to make sure that the shampoo is out.  Also it is much easier to get all of the shampoo out of thick, long hair when in the shower.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM

About 5 for dd, but she usually has longer hair (just got it cut to just above her shoulders). The boys were about 4, but we still checked to make sure they got it all rinsed out until they were about 5.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)