Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Fifth disease-question

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM
  • 10 Replies
My son's teacher approached me when I picked him up from school today. She said he might have fifth disease. I asked what that was, its a virus that causes a low grade fever, diarrhea, and red cheeks. She said it runs a 3 day course and then its gone. She didnt seem too concerned, but since Im pregnant, I should call my Dr. I called ds's Dr and they didnt have any openings, so they said to take him to the care clinic. Is it important that he goes? I don't have a car til 5 and I dont know if they're open after that. My Dr said they'll just run a test on me tomorrow when I go in for my appt that was already scheduled. Ds seems fine, just really pink, blotchy cheeks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Does he have the rash anywhere else? It most commonly starts on the belly or arms. I believe fifths disease only affects women in their first trimester, and most commonly adults have already been exposed, and become immune to the disease, but of course it's always best to be safe. Also the disease is no longer contagious once the rash appears.

mommy404204
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM

My son just had it and it really wasnt too bad. Does he have a rash all over his body? and does his cheeks look rosy like he was slapping them? there really isnt anything they give them for it it just has to run its course.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I honestly wouldn't worry about taking him in unless your really need to have it confirmed for one reason or another.

I thought that the whole point of those care clinics was that they were open after hours and on weekends, so one would hope that it would be open after 5:00.  Otherwise, what would be the point?

WonderWomanSV
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM
No, just his cheeks.
Thanks.

Quoting Mommy4000:

Does he have the rash anywhere else? It most commonly starts on the belly or arms. I believe fifths disease only affects women in their first trimester, and most commonly adults have already been exposed, and become immune to the disease, but of course it's always best to be safe. Also the disease is no longer contagious once the rash appears.

WonderWomanSV
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Just his cheeks. Yeah, like you said, they're rosy. Thanks.

Quoting mommy404204:

My son just had it and it really wasnt too bad. Does he have a rash all over his body? and does his cheeks look rosy like he was slapping them? there really isnt anything they give them for it it just has to run its course.

jbfcmom
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:41 AM
DD1 got that in preschool and I didn't notice anything with her but the weird, lacy looking rash. I however apparently had never had it as a child and caught it...OMG! It is practically nothing for kids but HORRIBLE in adults. My body just ached all over, really bad, for about 3 months. It sucked!! Some days were super bad, some days were more tollerable, but I would never wish that on somebody who's pregnant. I have no idea how it would effect a fetus, but I will pray for you that you don't get it just because you would be miserable. Took about 3 days to run its course in DD, but about 11 weeks for me, then finally I woke up one day and didn't hurt anymore. It went just as fast as it came.
PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM

My daughter had that when she was 5, by the time the rash comes on, he's no longer contagious.  The rash may hang around for a week, coming and going.  It is usually a mild childhood illness that don't usually slow kids down.  In fact, the "slapped cheeks" are usually the only indication that most parents have that the child is sick.  You might want to ask your doc for a gamma globulin shot. But you may already be immune to it if you had it as a child.

April_Mommy_87
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Get him and you checked

micheledo
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I have been pregnant when my kids had it. I don't think you need to be worried. Besides, you have already been exposed to it. I wouldn't bother going to the doctor for either of you.
corrinacs
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Hey,

Well, if you alrady have an appointment tomorrow with your OB, then you should be fine.  They can test you for it and give you the lowdown about any complications and treatments in case you are infected.

Good luck!  I think as far as he's concerned, you are fine.  There's rarely any complications for the toddlers.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)