Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How early is to early for chores???

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM
  • 33 Replies
I have a 6 year old an I want here to learn that in life u have to work to earn things an that nothing comes for free but I also dont want to look like im the mom who has her kids do everything for her...
So I was just wondering what some other moms thought bout this???
Crystal
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soontobemommie3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this
6 is not too early. My 3 year old has chores and has had them. Maybe since right before she turned 2. Started out with putting away blocks and toys in the toy chest and add on as she could comprehend. She now cleans her room and playroom, puts her dirty clothes in the hamper, puts away her clean clothes (with little help), cleans her dishes from the table, and helps dust. I will add to it as she gets older. Everyone in our home helps with the mess, they help clean it up.

My boys 9&10 have quite a few chores that they are responsible for. Basically each person is responsible for their own mess. And at 6 your child is fully capable of this. On Saturdays we all do a "deep clean" and we work together. They don't seem to mind. I guess because we've always had chores. But, also keeping the house clean leaves more time for me to spend doing fun things with them instead if me constantly cleaning.

Hope that all made sense. I tend to ramble. Google age appropriate chores. GL!

Oh! And make it fun!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

6 is definitely not too young for chores. She can set the dinner table, straighten up her room, put away laundry, sweep the floor, wipe off counter tops/tables, dust, pull covers up on her bed. . .

If you have pets, she can help feed them.

If you have a dishwasher, she can help empty it; silverware is easiest to start w/ until she can reach where everything else goes.

Kat0038
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Nah my six year old and four year old both have chores and they get five dollar allowance every two weeks if they finish there chores. My six years old saves to buy toys or videos she wants. Helps her understand money, math, responsibility, etc.

crystalplus1
by New Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm starting ds who will be 2 in May. Mostly i just have him help me pick up his messes. Like when he takes all the books off the shelf in his room during nap time.

907PickleMom
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Dd 19 mos has chores! Help put silverware in the dishwasher, put laundry in the basket.. All supervised of course. DS almost 6 puts his own laundry away, helps take care off he dogs and cat, cleans up the living room w/DH and cleans up his toys. He helps take care of dd too, getting dipes, play, get her a snack..
LucyHarper
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids start getting chores at three and we don't give allowance for them, they are their responsibilities. My kids don't do everything for them, they just do some things because they help contribute to the messes in the house, they live here, they are part of the family, they can help out.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

My boys have had chores since they were toddlers, so I don't think that 6 is too young.  In fact, the sooner that you start, the easier that it is to get them to do their chores without grumbling.  My boys honestly don't argue or try to avoid their chores because they've been doing them for so long and it is totally normal to them to pitch in and help out around the house.

bmack2107
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
According to my df, kids shouldn't do chores outside of picking up their mess & cleaning their room until they are in middle school... Our daughter will start learning as soon as she is able to comprehend. SS hardly has chores, and he is nine... -_- I pick & choose my battles...
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

It is never to early. When they were baby's and could pick things up. I would have them help clean up in a fun way. Lots to times they don't know they are helping. It is fun to them. Yes some are harder then others to get them to do.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

My 6 year old has a few chores.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)