Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Looking for advice from Moms that have retained their child...

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM
  • 22 Replies

Please tell me about your experience retaining your child.  I'm currently considering retaining my DD in the 1st grade.  We are seeing improvement this year but she is still below level.  I have done the online research but would really like to hear from other moms!

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:12 PM

It depends how far behind she is in school. What subjects are she behind in at the moment? How much time before the school year ends? What does her teacher recommend? There is affordable educational computer software and workbooks to help her with her learning. The software is pretty much fun at this age.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Is summer school an option?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM

My husband did 2 years of kindergarten back in the 70's, and his twin brother moved onto first grade without him.  My husband says that it is the best thing that his mother ever did for him because he didn't struggle and feel like he just wasn't getting it for the rest of his school career.

lovinmama411
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I haven't needed to with mine yet, my youngest just started kinder though so we will see lol. My brother was held back in 2nd grade. They said he was very immature (he was) for his age and struggling with some of the important concepts he needed to understand. My mom decided to do it and to be honest, it wasn't a big deal. He was so young when it happened he didn't really understand fully and he is now in college to be a minister. If you think she needs a year to catch up, then maybe she does. She will likely never know the difference. You don't want her struggling all next year, the older she gets the harder the decision will probably be. Good luck!

JaronDMC
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM
I was held back in kinder. I think it helped me. I was very shy and behind. On the other hand my brother was held back in 2nd or 3rd I don't remember but he didn't like it. He had trouble with the fact that his friends were in a different grade. But he was very social at school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
6tips
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Yes we will be doing summer school.  I'm also going to hire a tutor to work with her through the summer.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Is summer school an option?

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Bump

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM
2 moms liked this
I've never had a child retained but I teach 5th grade and see how it affects kids. From my perspective the kids who have highly involved parents tend to benefit more and have less negative outcomes than kids that don't have supportive families. That may seem like a "Duh!" But I felt it was worth adding.

It seems to me that if you and your child's teacher and other involved parties deem retention necessary, your child will be one of the success stories.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:39 AM

No experience in this matter. My son's birthday is right after the cut-off, and so he's already one of the older kids in his grade. I think it would be really hard on him if he was held back.

How old is your daugher compared to her classmates? Is she struggling in all areas or just one?

mom2many747
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I wish I could help. I have been trying to get my autistic DD retained since kindergarten. She's about to move to 3rd grade. Haven't had any luck. The school district is more worries about statistics than what's in the best interest of a single child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)