Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just Want to Share Some News

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM
  • 450 Replies
203 moms liked this

So, my youngest girl is in Kindergarten. She is 5 years old and has global developmental delays. It is suspected that she may have some learning disabilities. She's been in school for almost 3 years now (2 in pre-k and this year in Kindergarten). She receives speech and language therapy, as well as occupational therapy. When it comes to her speech, her intelligibility rate during a conversation if the context is not known is only about 25%. That means if she's starts a conversation with you and you don't know the subject, you'll only understand about 25% of what she says. I share all this information so it can be understood just how amazing the news I'm about to share is. My daughter received an Acheivers award this morning. It's not honor roll but it's an award only given to students who made a huge effort during the quarter. Kindergarten grading is done on a numbers scale, 1-4. My daughter has had 1's the first 2 quarters. Well, during the 3rd quarter, she worked so hard she brought all of her 1's up to 2's and even got a 3 in math!!! (a three is what most children who are working on grade level gets). I am so excited and happy for her. She has a lot of struggles but receiving this award really gave her a boost of confidence and showed her that hard work really does pay off. 

I feel the need to share this on CM because my family doesn't understand how exciting this is. We are a family of over achievers. I personally got straight A's up until college where I got  a B in Advanced Biology (the only grade I ever got that wasn't an A) so my family expects my children to be the same. Well, Zajanah will never be a straight A student but I accept that about her. She worked so hard to bring her grades up and I couldn't be more happy! My family feels like if it isn't honor roll then it isn't an achievement. I just wanted some other moms to recognize what an achievement this is for her.

Please keep it positive. I've gotten enough negativity from my family. Thank you!

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Amanda
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:41 AM
19 moms liked this

This brought tears to my eyes! So happy for both of you. How wonderful that her effort was recognized. Love stories like this. :)

Quoting mom2many747:

So, my youngest girl is in Kindergarten. She is 5 years old and has global developmental delays. It is suspected that she may have some learning disabilities. She's been in school for almost 3 years now (2 in pre-k and this year in Kindergarten). She receives speech and language therapy, as well as occupational therapy. When it comes to her speech, her intelligibility rate during a conversation if the context is not known is only about 25%. That means if she's starts a conversation with you and you don't know the subject, you'll only understand about 25% of what she says. I share all this information so it can be understood just how amazing the news I'm about to share is. My daughter received an Acheivers award this morning. It's not honor roll but it's an award only given to students who made a huge effort during the quarter. Kindergarten grading is done on a numbers scale, 1-4. My daughter has had 1's the first 2 quarters. Well, during the 3rd quarter, she worked so hard she brought all of her 1's up to 2's and even got a 3 in math!!! (a three is what most children who are working on grade level gets). I am so excited and happy for her. She has a lot of struggles but receiving this award really gave her a boost of confidence and showed her that hard work really does pay off. 

I feel the need to share this on CM because my family doesn't understand how exciting this is. We are a family of over achievers. I personally got straight A's up until college where I got  a B in Advanced Biology (the only grade I ever got that wasn't an A) so my family expects my children to be the same. Well, Zajanah will never be a straight A student but I accept that about her. She worked so hard to bring her grades up and I couldn't be more happy! My family feels like if it isn't honor roll then it isn't an achievement. I just wanted some other moms to recognize what an achievement this is for her.

Please keep it positive. I've gotten enough negativity from my family. Thank you!

GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM
29 moms liked this

That is wonderful!  What a hard worker she is!  Being a hard worker is more important than getting straight A's, IMO.  Too many smart people get good grades w/o much effort & don't know how to really work for something.  Your daughter already know how to work for things & that will really help her as she grows.  You should be very proud of her!

Your family is nuts to not recognize what an awesome acheivement this is for your DD.

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Congrats!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kaybear123
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Oh! That's amazing! :)

1squishysmom
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

It has been MANY years since we went through this with our son. Congratulations to your sweet little girl. I understand completely (((hugs)))

LadySaphira
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Good for her! She should be very proud of herself.

mamatocaleb
5 moms liked this

Wonderful! Take her out to celebrate her achievement. She is also a very beautiful girl!!!

IansMommy2012
2 moms liked this
Instant tears!!! That's beautiful!! I'm so proud of her an you momma!! You may be surprised for her an "A" is prolly "C" but that is a wonderful achievement for someone with her disabilities :)
(I hope that didn't com out harsh!!) my apologies if it did I meant to be honest and nice!
MommyOK
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM
2 moms liked this

YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT to be proud of her and I'm proud of her even know I don't even know her. Awesome job from both of you! The support she's gettingfrom you I'm sure is giving so much more confidence and the drive to be better and work harder!!!! WAY to go! Life is to precious to not enjoy the little things. ANd this is BIG! COngrats mamma!!! woohoo

NikkiDoll
by Nicole on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Congrats to her! She looks so proud!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)